Options

has anybody replaced the upper swivel pin on there drive them self?

I plan on replacing it this weekend and using the cover plate kit. Just wondering if anybody has used it and if it has leaked.

Answers

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    I personally don't like the JR Marine method.  I have only heard that if you boat salt water it's really not a good idea.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    They have been around for a while. I replaced mine but had the drive/motor out anyway so dodged that question. I don't know ..and now we have a guinea pig!
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had the other method (where you drill a hole on either side of the transom assembly) done on my 242. It worked fine and had no issues.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,557 mod
    I think the resident expert on swivel pin replacement is @Grahamu ...
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m curious. I need to do mine next winter. Was planning (hoping) to shift the engines forward so that I can remove the transom assemblies rather than full re and re. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 868 ✭✭✭
    Thank you @LaRea but i don't think I can claim that title. My transom assemblies were off the boat which makes it a different repair process. My only advice is to make sure you buy the stainless steel pin instead of the cheaper version Mercury also offers and replace the seal.
    @YYZRC, if you can move the engines forward I would do it and remove the transom assys and re-seal everything,

• Options
    Oooooo that is nasty! On my 270 I may have been able to pull it forward enough..only problem, how do you do that? Not much difference in pulling forward vs just pulling it out...that was my experience.  
  • Options
    I’m trying to secure indoor storage and if that comes together it’s game on. 

No reason to pull the engines completely - just a lot more work I imagine. I should be able to move them forward almost 18”. 
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My old marina refused to use those kits. I just went full SeaCore on the transom assy’s when the time came. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    You should have enough room but it won't be easy working around it.

• Options
    Squatch68Squatch68 Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
    I replaced my swivel shaft, seal, and the two bushings using the JR Marine kit and the tools. I haven't put the cover on and tested it in the water yet because I discovered some unrelated transom issues that need to be repaired. Their process, instructions, and parts are fantastic. I didn't have any trouble with the repair. Took some patience creating the hole in the gimbal housing!

My seal and shaft were completely done. I bought the swivel shaft from JR Marine since its 174PH hardened stainless steel. 

• Options
    @Squatch68 that looks pro, very clean hole!
  • Options
    Grahamu said:
    You should have enough room but it won't be easy working around it.

@Grahamu where did you pull the engine from?  I know about the loop on the thermostat housing; I assume there is another at the rear of the engine as well?
  • Options
    @YYZRC, yes hard to see but it is to the left of the blue cable.
  • Options
    YYZRC said:
    I’m trying to secure indoor storage and if that comes together it’s game on. 

No reason to pull the engines completely - just a lot more work I imagine. I should be able to move them forward almost 18”. 
    You will have to unhook everything, which is really not that much, to pull it forward..get the motor out and repaint that bilge!
  • Options
    My bilge doesn’t need paint. It’s clean enough to eat in there!
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Would be an excellent time to get to those plugs if need be..New wires...I changed mine recently- while not o erwhelming a couple made me wish I had done them with motor out...and what is the secret to the bilge,  mine always looks like a truckstop bathroom floor..and now I'm confused...one motor missing and, no disrespect, not eating on that floor, different boat?🤣
  • Options
    @YYZRC, I think he mistook my photo above as your boat which is mine at beginning of repairs.