Options

420 Generator Access

Other than through to hatch under the cockpit table, is there another way to access the generator to replace a fan belt. So far two repair shops tell me they don't have the right sized person for the job and that I may need to disassemble part of my starboard engine to accomplish this. Any thoughts? 

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Thru the hatch into the engine room is the only way to access the unit.  I would think worse case you could unbolt the generator and be able to slide it forward to get to the fan belt? (although maybe the water heater is in the way?)  I'm not as familiar with your setup since it diesel (I've only been in the gas 420s).  I believe the diesel generators don't have the sound shield either, correct?  So, maybe you can take a picture of the generator.  I'm assuming it's shoved too far aft on stbd side (or was it fwd on stbd side)?

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    goalie59goalie59 Member Posts: 326 ✭✭✭
    Is this what yours looks like. These are pics of my 410. I did replace the belts. Mine is a Yanmar diesel. 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Goalie, the 410 and 420 is quite a bit different in the engine room, especially since the 410 is inboard and the 420 is I/O.  I would like to see pics though of foghorns just because it's been a year since I've been in the 420 ER and can't remember the exact layout.  (I do remember their vacuflush is all the way aft on port side, which was a pain.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow is that thing tightly shoved in there. Agree with looking at pulling bolts to slide the right side out toward you if possible.
    My boat has the exact same generator. In order to change belts my mechanic had to pull off both the right side and top access panels which is a simple pop of the latch. Belts are very accessible under those panels.  He probably could have done it with one or the other, but not neither. He did bump the starter to remove and re install one of the belts but kinda gave me the "dont try that at home" comment. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    So the one belt is a stretch belt and the other is for the alternator. There is no access to the alternator and it’s adjuster unless you want to cut a hole in the trunk liner above the battery switch panel ( was not going to do that). So I temporarily relocated the large wiring loom (seen in the picture at the stern side of the genny) so I could just get Access to the back genny panel. There is only about three inches between the genny and back of stern so your arm takes a beating. I cut off both belts and Took the numbers off them and went to my local automotive parts supplier . Ordered in the two smaller sizes of belts and basically installed them as stretch belts. This was not easy to do but in the long run was less intrusive to the boat and it’s finish . Al once said that you can split the genny and remove it in two sections but I think that was for the smaller gas one. The diesel three cylinder motor would be almost impossible to remove and do repairs. 
  • Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 868 ✭✭✭
    I sometimes wonder if boat designers actually own one and know how difficult they make it to do essential service to it's components.
  • Options
    sometimes wonder if boat designers actually own one and know how difficult they make it to do essential service to it's components.

Grahamu I couldn’t agree with you more. It would be a shame to give up on a generator because the location makes it impossible to repair. But for some people who would have to pay a tech to do these repairs there would be a lot of second guessing. 

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't this the kind of work ideally suited to child labor?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    So you got it done goalie?

• Options
    Yes. Last winter I spent several weekends on the genny. Replaced belts, filters, impeller, and made up two front engine mounts that had rusted out because the P/o had let water drip in that area for years. So far it is running good. I will keep my fingers crossed. 
  • Options
    Glad you are all set.