Windlass issue: Horizon 600 Control Arm

Was taking the boat to our home slip from storage yesterday (alone) and had to head through one lock.  Of course the stripper on the windlass gave out and I had to pull the anchor up by hand (in a hurry as the lock was letting me lock through early with 6 barges).

The point is I snapped the control arm in the struggle.  I will replace the stripper (My brother 3D printed me a couple extras).  I see that for $100 I can buy a replacement metal (not plastic like the current one).

The question is, has anyone done this replacement and how difficult would it be?

Comments

• rmrstlmormrstlmo Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    It's not that difficult.  The hardest part is getting the spring to seat properly while you put it back together.  I believe I have an extra metal one if want it (free).  I needed the spring and had to buy the kit.  Send me a private message with your address if you want it.  I won't be back at the boat for a couple of weeks to get it.

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

• davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    I ended up buying a new windlass. The horizon 700 is a big improvement in the design. 
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
    Did your existing wiring work with the new windlass?

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

Like a champ. As long as you don't go above a 700. It doesn't pull more amps. Mounting holes lined up also.
    Oh and since then it has worked flawlessly. No more jammed rode or chain.
    I thought was headed down the path of a new windlass but over the winter I found a guy/company that had the old drawings and he made me a new gypsy.  My old gypsy was worn badly and the chain would slip.  See photo of old/new.

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool @rmrstlmo
    Was it reasonable to have made?
    Post contact info 
    2008 330EC
    It was much cheaper than a new windlass LOL!  With shipping from the UK it was less than $300.  I installed it a few weeks ago.  Haven't actually put down the hook yet.  I did run it up and down a few times and it seems to have fixed my issue with the chain slipping.

Never actually talked to the guy.  It was all via email but he was great to work with.

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340