Options

Kohler 5e remote switch

Captains, I recently replaced my toggle switch at genset as previous was defective. The replacement I was sent had 6 poles back. The original 3. I installed the new switch at the genset in same order as old switch. The genset will start and stop at gen switch, but now remote switch will not start or stop nor does the red indicator light at fuse panel in cabin indicate genset running. Should I focus on the switch that I replaced or is there potentially something else?

Comments

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    What was wrong with the old switch? I would make sure the new one is wired correctly. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    NoShoes1NoShoes1 Member Posts: 13
    The old switch wore out, it would no longer make the click or intermittent connection. 
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The new switch being 6 poles may need a jumper from one of the other wires as they may have separated some functions in the switch. You may need to compare the two and see how they work.  
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,562 mod
    I agree with Aqua.  You need to get an ohm meter and figure the switch out and look at old switch as comparison.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    edited May 2022
    If you look at the switch, on the back or the side, it should say: Comm (common) NO (normally open) and NC (normally closed). It may also have a DC negative if it has a built in pilot light. You would need to match up the new switch to the old one. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it a Carling brand switch?  My 5E has an (ON)-ON-OFF style switch, not sure how you could accomplish that with only 3 pins.  Post a pic of the back of the old switch.

2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay