Options

Repower 2002 Fiesta Vee

My 270 Fiesta Vee with full fuel water and six people seems under powered. Not an issue wit a light load has a 350 Mag Mpi Runs great. Thinking of putting a Big block in for the low end tork to get her on a plane with out moving passengers around any advice? Did they make that model with a Big Block?

Comments

• Options
    browncbr1browncbr1 Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    Yes,
    There are many out there with big blocks. Even the 8.1 Volvo.
    I have a 350 mag MPI in mine and with proper use of trim tabs, etc its workable. Have you thought about playing with props first?
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you do pull engines, you may find it easier to rebuild the one(s) you have, and stroke them to 383cid, and get some bowl work done on the heads.. some of those produce a reliable 425~450hp.. you wouldn't need to change much else, which would reduce expenses..
  • Options
    I've seen a few advertised 425~450HP small blocks that were stroked, but couldn't find any cam cards on them.. I guessed the builders, if it's advertised accurately, were doing it by dropping the decks and increasing compression, and the basic parasitic cuts like using roller rockers with a higher ratio, underdrive pulleys, and other shenanigans.. even the balance and weight of cranks and crap like that to push above 400... But, as you say, there is no replacement for displacement.. :-)

I'm interested now in determining what merc does with control.. I'm gonna find out if someone somewhere has used a stand alone application such as megasquirt to control the trim game... It seems like it can be done, and get away from proprietary stuff.. wrong thread for that discussion, though.. :-)
  • Options
    i was reading about that overlap a few weeks ago... it's sure interesting how it's done... its almost like the exhaust is pressurized before it is allowed to escape... it has to be harder on seats, no? 

amazing how cats are the bane of automotive, but helpful in marine.. i guess being that close to the manifold the cat can rely on pressure as much as scavenging, whereas on autos the pressure is almost relieved by the time it hits the cat and there has to be something to drag it through like a hot spot making vacuum.. sounds like the industry is using that to their advantage instead of fighting it... huh.. something to think about... :-) 
  • Options
    brianluckbrianluck Member Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
    No replacement for displacement
    1994 300fv "General Madness"
  • Options
    Tide1onTide1on Member Posts: 6
    Thank you for the input.Not going to do a rebuild my motor is salt water cooled.I bought the boat 3 years ago with less then 75 hours.She was on land for 4 seasons.I feel with salt water running through the block after a while corrosion will set in.When the time comes going to put in a turn key drop in.I know about the stroker engines out their but its still a small block,don't want to go fast just want that low end power you can only find in a big block.

• Options
    Tide1onTide1on Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the offer.Are you around Westchester County New York? Long Island Sound area.

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The engines will last forever. So will the payments to do it! lol

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    brianluckbrianluck Member Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
    RinkerYan said:

Just put in a nice pair of Yanmars and you wont have to worry about it for the rest of yours and the boats life. Just sayin. :)

I'd love a nice set of diesels to bad one motor cost more then my boat
    1994 300fv "General Madness"