Options

Mercruiser alarm

tbeckertbecker Member Posts: 10
edited May 2022 in Engine Discussions
i just bought a 2019 290EX, third time out I got a message on the SIMRAD screen "Center Engine. Engine Sensor. Exhaust oxygen sensor is not working properly. (Emission control problem. See Dealer soon)"

I intend to get mechanic to check on it, but does anyone know what this might be? or whether I need to shut it down until i get the problem checked/resolved?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!
Post edited by raybo3 on

Comments

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure about SIMRAD, the original alarm would give a beeping code. 

Here is some info by our resident long time Rinker lover. 

LaRea Alexandria VirginiaMember Posts: 6,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A list of Mercruiser engine alarms and fault codes has been widely posted all over the webby-net, so I reformatted it into a 1-page table that I can print and keep on the boat for reference.  Maybe some of you will find it useful.   

This list is specific to PCM-555 engines (496 MAG and 8.1S), but the basic features are similar for ECM-555 engines (4.3 MPI, 5.0 MPI, 350 MAG MPI, MX 6.2 MPI).

This list is only a summary.  For a detailed list, including a full troubleshooting guide, get a copy of Mercruiser Service Manual 33 (for PCM-555 engines) or Service Manual 36 (for ECM-555 engines).  You can download a PDF online, or buy a paper copy (e.g., from Amazon).  It is an excellent resource.

Let me know if you spot any errors.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That brings up a question. Does SIMRAD remove and replace all Mercruiser fault codes and funnel them through that unit? 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    Center engine?  Does the Simrad think you have three engines?  
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭✭
    @randy56 the simrad is just reading the fault code from the pcm and giving you a readout of the code vs the Morse code approach of the beeping. I guess even new boats aren't immune to these parts giving out.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    My recent experience with the Exhaust System O2 Sensor not working is that it has to do with your fuel pressure. The fuel pressure regulator on the cool fuel module could have some debris in it causing an elevated fuel pressure. The O2 sensor sees the fuel pressure increase and tries to dial back the amount of fuel being delivered but it cant overcome the pressure. You may be able to clean the the screen on the pressure regulator or replace it but you will need someone with the software to clear the code to stop the beeping.
    There is a thread here on the forum somewhere about this exact issue from a few years back
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    randy56 said:
    That brings up a question. Does SIMRAD remove and replace all Mercruiser fault codes and funnel them through that unit? 
    The Simrad converts the beeps to a high level text warning. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    tbeckertbecker Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for the feedback. The error code just quit appearing. My service guy plugged into the engine and there were no fault codes, so we're back on the water enjoying summer!