Options

Sacrilege or Smart?

TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
So this issue has been bugging me for a few years and I finally did it.

Yesterday I had the yard pull out my generator before I launch tomorrow...

We did a barter, so they did it at no charge and with a "yard credit" for future storage/work. Exact pricing to be determined after they check it out further, but I trust my yard to give me a fair price. They will either refurbish and sell as a unit or part out for repairs for other boats.

Here are my reasons to pull it:

1. It was a PITA to access the engine compartment with it sitting in the way. Could not easily get to impellers, fuel filters, etc. Also could not easily access the fixed fire extinguisher system or the battery controller bank, or the hot water heater. Now I can sit in the area the genny was in and have easier access to all of the above.

2. Didn't use it. We are about 99% connected to shore power when needing the A/C -- so rarely used it other than to test run it.

3. High maintenance item versus usage.  The cost ratio of usage to maintenance costs just didn't make sense.

4. Emerging technologies. With more companies coming up with DC air conditioning systems and improving battery technologies if we ever did decide that we needed AC on the hook, I can install a DC system much cheaper and with lower ongoing maintenance costs.

Just wondering what others think of my decision - especially those of you who have a later model (2012+) 310 EC / 320 EX with the genny.

Comments

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on your usage patterns, a good decision I think. Be different if you had long periods on the hook or long cruises/Great Loop etc.
    May hurt the resale value a bit, particularly if a prospective buyer didn't know what a P.I.T.A. a gen can be to maintain and thinks it should be there.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    That's a tough call, but you gotta do what you believe is best for your boating.  It makes perfect sense for your style of boating.  If you aren't planning to sell the boat in the next year or two, don't worry and enjoy.  Now, I agree it will definitely hurt resale.  I would also never buy a 31' boat without a generator (310 was my prior boat, loved having the generator - I passed up good deal on one without it).  But, if you left it in there and never used it, then it wouldn't work worth a darn anyway.

I'll be curious what you get for it.  If it isn't much, I'd want to keep it for resale value.  I think on a 310 it adds $10k. (not saying it's worth that, but when looking around at used boats with one in it, it is).

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Dream_Inn said:
    I agree it will definitely hurt resale. 
    Thought about resale issues but unless something changes drastically we consider this our "forever boat." So I'd rather get it the way we want it than worrying about what someone else may think it should have or not have down the road.
  • Options
    Dream_Inn said:
    I'll be curious what you get for it.  If it isn't much, I'd want to keep it for resale value.  I think on a 310 it adds $10k. (not saying it's worth that, but when looking around at used boats with one in it, it is).
    Will be interesting. I know they had one mechanic on it for 8 hours yesterday and then he had some intermittent help when doing the heavy lifting, etc. So I'm guessing they might be in it for about $1K of labor? BTW - He did a nice job of tidying and/or terminating hoses, wires, and capping off the exhaust thru-hull, so if I ever did decide to put a genny back, everything would be ready to go. Kinda like reversing a vasectomy.  :)
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forget it - those things are such a pain. Honda 2k unit is the best... 
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    @TonyG13 I haven't seen a good size DC air con unit, what have you found?  I would love to switch over and add a big lithium cell to power it.

Also, and maybe more importantly, how is it that you avoid 2 foot itis?  Meds?  Meditation?  This morning I spent 45 minutes pondering how I might go about cutting my boat down the middle to add 3 feet of beam.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Due to your use i think it makes sense.  I dont use mine enough to warrant having to deal with it.  In my humble opinion generators are going to slowly go away in lieu of solar panels and battery "generators"
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    I like having a generator, would not want a boat without one but I use my often!
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you going to sell it? 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 739 ✭✭✭
    @TonyG13,  Because my boating location, I can't see my self without A/C or a geny , But I understand your point. My neighbor has his gasoline geny remove and replace it for diesel one due to it always was shutting down for a lot of faults. By the way we have the same boat, I am wonder if you mechanic has to remove the engine to get the generator out from the engine room?. 
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 739 ✭✭✭
    @TonyG13,  Because my boating location, I can't see my self without A/C or a geny , But I understand your point. My neighbor has his gasoline geny remove and replace it for diesel one due to it always was shutting down for a lot of faults. By the way we have the same boat, I am wonder if you mechanic has to remove the engine to get the generator out from the engine room?. 
  • Options
    YYZRC said:
    @TonyG13 I haven't seen a good size DC air con unit, what have you found?  I would love to switch over and add a big lithium cell to power it.

Also, and maybe more importantly, how is it that you avoid 2 foot itis?  Meds?  Meditation?  This morning I spent 45 minutes pondering how I might go about cutting my boat down the middle to add 3 feet of beam.
    Current AC is in great condition so my research is still in the preliminary stage, but all signs do point to newer technologies slowly edging out gas gennys. The Mabru seems to be the one I'd get if I needed one today -->  https://mabrustore.com/products/mps-12dc-btu-12v-with-pump-heating-and-cooling

No 2footitis for the time being. Our dock neighbor just traded up from a 1970's Chris-craft 35 Commander to a 2015 Sunseeker 55 -- so we will live vicariously through him for awhile.
  • Options
    Unless some drastic life event takes place, we will probably keep her for at least another 10 years.
  • Options
    oscar1 said:
    By the way we have the same boat, I am wonder if you mechanic has to remove the engine to get the generator out from the engine room?. 
    When I got there this morning I asked him how he did it and told me it was his secret method. He finally said they removed all the front facing engine pulleys, belts, heat exchanger, etc. and had just enough room to maneuver it out.
  • Options
    TonyG13 said:
    Unless some drastic life event takes place, we will probably keep her for at least another 10 years.

I was talking about the generator. 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
    J3ff said:
    It takes the 3k to run A/C, which is very heavy compared to the more compact 2k models.  I bring a 2k on camping trips with my 5th wheel, strictly for charging purposes, and running the microwave.  I have never seen a 2k run A/C.  
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy having a generator and we use it but I realize if out boat didn't have one we would make it work. Easily add more batteries and an inverter and solar if needed. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    I say good move.  When younger, a genny might have made sense for us.  We no longer stay overnight on the hook, so it’s only used to keep it exercised.  Total pain.  In fact, just this week had to replace the battery that sits tucked in corner behind genny and starboard engine.  Had to extend arm out, lift battery up, squeeze it between engine and bottom of floor deck to get it out. Was sure I was going to pull a muscle.  Took every ounce of energy to get it.  I would gladly have genny removed and take the hit on resale.
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
    Spyderweb said:
    I say good move.  When younger, a genny might have made sense for us.  We no longer stay overnight on the hook, so it’s only used to keep it exercised.  Total pain.  
    @Spyderweb
    Funny how the way you boat changes over time. 
    Ours was all kids, tubes & crushed potato chips in the carpet.

Now far more relaxing with just wife & I & pup. Drinks, snacks, sunshine, tunes & sandbars.
    Not better or worse - just different.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    Lake_Bum said:
    J3ff said:
    It takes the 3k to run A/C, which is very heavy compared to the more compact 2k models.  I bring a 2k on camping trips with my 5th wheel, strictly for charging purposes, and running the microwave.  I have never seen a 2k run A/C.  
    My A/C runs off my 2k Ryobi portable generator. 
    Go Steelers!!!