Options

Replacement horn

JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
My horn took a dive (again), and I'd like to upgrade the sound this time, if possible. I have this style currently, behind a trim piece in the anchor locker:

As far as I can tell its just 2 wires that go to the horn, and the switch at the dash activates it.

I want to replace it with this:

Bad Boy Air Horn

Will I need to use the relay they include for the new horn, or can I just use the existing two wires and get it mounted up somehow?
2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3

Comments

• Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 868 ✭✭✭
    What is the current draw? Are the existing wire's gauge large enough for it? A relay usually means it has a higher amperage.
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭✭
    I put in an air horn. Dual trumpet. And I absolutely love it talk about getting people's attention when you want to
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    Grahamu said:
    What is the current draw? Are the existing wire's gauge large enough for it? A relay usually means it has a higher amperage.

It supposedly comes with a 30A relay and draws 16A, which seems like a ton, right?

Here's the install instructions. It says to just install with factory wiring for a car, but for a motorcycle to wire in the relay to protect the horn button and wiring.

I put in an air horn. Dual trumpet. And I absolutely love it talk about getting people's attention when you want to

This is kind of a hybrid, its a mini compressor and horn so I can install in the factory location. I have to access the area via a small access plate to the anchor locker, so big air horns are not really on the menu. :/
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reviews aren't exactly stellar.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    None of them really have stellar reviews that I've found, maybe you see something different? I really wanted to avoid having to wire to the battery or helm, because thats a PITA and I dont have a ton of extra time nowadays for projects like that. I dont want to install anything that causes damage or doesnt work right though, I'll just get the same thing I had for now and make it a fall project to upgrade.
  • Options
    I used to carry one of those mini spray can air horns, knowing that the one time I actually need my boat horn it either wouldn't work or wouldn't be loud enough.

• Options
    I thought about that, and I might keep that as a backup, but I still want a working horn that isnt a wimpy sound.

What do you think the factory switch / fuse / wiring is good to? 5A, 10A? Maybe I just get the loudest horn I can find that doesnt require adding a relay.
  • Options
    I believe the wiring in my boat is 14 gauge which would be good for 15 amps.  The Carling switches are rated at 20 amps I believe.  Not sure what the horn breaker is but I would guess not higher than 15 amps.
  • Options
    Pulled out my old dash panels and the horn breaker is 5 amps. 

• Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget the amps have to also go through the horn switch. They aren't always wired for that.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!