Options

Seawater Pump Leaking

JimGuy341JimGuy341 Member Posts: 101 ✭✭
350 mag.  Boat just went in the water and I noticed some rusty water under the seawater pump pulley.  I'm assuming the shaft seal is going.  My question is, can I run like this until I can get it replaced or is that a bad idea?
2008 350 EC

Comments

• Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    You can if the pump leak is not spraying water in the engine room
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    Could be just a bit of rust from sitting over the winter puked out relief hole at season start up. 

I'd probably still use the boat - but replace in the near future.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 880 ✭✭✭
    After taking possession of my current boat I discovered a leak in the water pump shaft (despite getting survey).  Only leaked under power.  Broker convinced me it would be safe to to take the ~85 mile trip down the Oswego River and across Lake Ontario to my home slip.  Made the trip fine.  I immediately had my marina replace the pump.  Mechanic said shaft was sliding out, and I was lucky it didn’t throw the belt while on the trip.

So apparently there’s more to be concerned about than just water in the bilge, or overheating.  If you’re leaking at the shaft, I wouldn’t put off the repair too long.
  • Options
    JimGuy341JimGuy341 Member Posts: 101 ✭✭
    Spyderweb said:
    After taking possession of my current boat I discovered a leak in the water pump shaft (despite getting survey).  Only leaked under power.  Broker convinced me it would be safe to to take the ~85 mile trip down the Oswego River and across Lake Ontario to my home slip.  Made the trip fine.  I immediately had my marina replace the pump.  Mechanic said shaft was sliding out, and I was lucky it didn’t throw the belt while on the trip.

So apparently there’s more to be concerned about than just water in the bilge, or overheating.  If you’re leaking at the shaft, I wouldn’t put off the repair too long.
    Ran into our local freelance mechanic at the marina today and he basically said the same thing.  Don't wait and he didn't really recommend running the boat until it's fixed. 
    2008 350 EC
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fix now.  It will die soon with the water in the bearings. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Fix now.  It will die soon with the water in the bearings. 
    Exactly. Overheat & alarm in about 20 sec after it fails.

Been there done that. Towed the last 1/4 mile back to the dock.

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just had both of mine rebuilt the end of last season because of a drip 🙄. 

2008 330EC
  • Options
    @aero3113 - show off! 

Bling, bling Hardin pumps.........lol
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on what I read on here, it’s more like “drip, drip, Hardin pumps”!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YYZRC said:
    Based on what I read on here, it’s more like “drip, drip, Hardin pumps”!
    Hopefully no more of that!!

2008 330EC
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭
    And my originals are still fine….. and my buddy had his Hardin’s rebuilt too.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/