Options

Drive Oil Leak

JimGuy341JimGuy341 Member Posts: 101 ✭✭
Went out for the first time last weekend.  After 30 min, anchored and checked the engine compartment.  This is what I found.  Looks like I was getting drive oil overflow from the monitor bottle.  It's possible the cap wasn't tight but the gasket is there.   I got the mess cleaned up and didn't have any issues on the return trip. 

Is it strange that the oil ran along the underside of the engine from the monitor bottle or normal that a little oil gets everywhere?  From what I can tell, there is nowhere else for the oil to come from.  (pic looking aft from front of stbd engine).
2008 350 EC

Comments

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not surprised that it ran along the engine and dripped down as it ran down the bottom of the engine. But it looks like you lost at least half the bottle. How full was the bottle? For that much oil I'd assume someone filled the bottles to the top and they burped out half the bottle (which would be correct as they should be filled to just between the high/low markes which are mid bottle).
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    JimGuy341JimGuy341 Member Posts: 101 ✭✭
    I am not surprised that it ran along the engine and dripped down as it ran down the bottom of the engine. But it looks like you lost at least half the bottle. How full was the bottle? For that much oil I'd assume someone filled the bottles to the top and they burped out half the bottle (which would be correct as they should be filled to just between the high/low markes which are mid bottle).
    This bottle was a little over filled (by me) last fall.  In hindsight, I should have removed some.  Your guess at half a bottle isn't far off.  
    2008 350 EC
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea you should never fill it to the top, it should be filled to no higher than the high line on the bottle. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    I wouldn't be overly concerned.  Half a bottle isn't too bad, but I'd say 2/3rd is about where it should be.  I'd just leave as is for the moment and monitor it each time you take it out.  I'd also take the cap off, carefully pull the little rubber piece inside off.  Then wipe it all clean and reinstall rubber piece and cap.  I've had mine do the same and that little rubber piece can be finicky.  I actually had to replace the cap once.  It is probably just do to some expansion and the lube heating up a bit.  If it continues to come out, it's either the cap or the drive is getting way too hot.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express