Options

Need VHF Antenna replaced

SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
Launched the boat Thursday.  That went well and spent the next 2 days cleaning and setting up.  The only casualty from winter storage was a broken VHF antenna.  Have a question regarding replacement.  Does the old one (white part) just unscrew from the existing mount (stainless part)?  Beyond that, replacement looks pretty straight forward.

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Spyderweb it’s pushed in with sealant. Mine actually worked it’s way out and I had to reglue it with sealant.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    But I think the new antenna comes with the stainless part on it and it will unscrew where I circled.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    I replaced mine a couple years ago and it comes with the cable attached so you will need to run a new cable as well. I don't recall there being an option without the cable since it's attached at the factory 🤷🏽‍♂️

Shakespeare 4' Centennial VHF Antenna https://a.co/d/aOjOlqr
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Someone replaced the antenna and cut the cable and spliced it like a 2 year old on my 330 🙄. I bought the correct splice and it’s been working fine. I can’t find the pic of the splice I used but check out this link.

http://themarineinstallersrant.blogspot.com/2015/11/using-shakespeares-vhf-cable-centerpin.html?m=1

2008 330EC
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    New antenna will come with about 8’ of wire. You should find an existing splice that looks like this:

It should be near the VHF (in the gunnel beside the helm seat).

The new antenna will come with a male splice that you need to solder in place. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Oh, I get it.  I see where the new ones come with the stainless part attached.  The one I’m leaning towards (Shakespeare 8500) comes with 20’ of cable.  I scoped out the path the cable runs down to the unit on the floor in the gunnel and there’s no drastic bends.  This looks doable.  Thanks guys.
    https://www.westmarine.com/buy/shakespeare--mariner-8500-8-6db-vhf-antenna--6966055
  • Options
    @Spyderweb use the old cable as a snake if needed.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With 20’ you should have no need for the splice. Hardest part is getting the wire from the arch to the radio. Remove the speaker below the arch mount and the access panel under the helm seat and you will be good. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Yes, I planned to duct tape new cable to old for a snake.  I had the panel off to the arch and under helm to see where it all goes.  Tightest spot Is about a 1 1/2” hole through bottom of arch into cavity below, but that’s right where arch access panel is, so can easily hand feed it through.
  • Options
    MojosBoatMojosBoat Member Posts: 96 ✭✭
    I just replaced the on my 410 that got broken during transport back in November. It unscrews from the base. I used a splice kit to connect it. I planned on using the old cable to pull the new one through but it was tied up in bundle that goes up into my arch. So i just spliced it.  
    ALL IN AGAIN, 410 FV Twin 8.1 H/O MPI, V-Drives , 
  • Options
    New antenna is in.  Old one unscrewed easily from mount.  Figured snaking the new cable would be a breeze with the wide open hollow arch.  Not so much.  It was hanging up within 12” in.  I was alone, but fortunately I could reach both ends at the same time, and I kept working it back and forth, and putting bends in my splice to help.  Turns out the old cable was bundled with 2 other wires with a wrap of electrical tape.  Don’t know why that would be done with a cable that at some point in the boats life is apt to be replaced.  Fortunately l got it stretched far enough I could reach it through the speaker hole.  Cut the tape and it was easy sailing from there.