Options

Weed Wacker won't stay running

skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
Anyone a small 2 stroke small engine expert.

Freaking weed Wacker won't stay running.  I replaced the carb, plug and fuel lines.  If I pump the bulb it starts and runs for a few minutes but eventually dies.

If I go to use it and pull the trigger it dies everytime.  It's most certainly not getting gas but can't figure out why

I'm about to go electric and throw this thing out.
2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3

Comments

• Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @PickleRick is gonna be all over this 😃
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have replaced the fuel lines, I'm out- at this point I'm down at lowes
  • Options
    I'm close @rasbury...I'm real close.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    toolmaker312toolmaker312 Member Posts: 96
    Did you put a weight or fuel filter at the end of the fuel line in the tank. There is usually one or the other.Maybe it's floating instead of staying down
  • Options
    @toolmaker312 Yes it's on there
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    I had a leaf blower the same way.  I replaced the carb, still no luck.  I gave up on it.  But, my new leaf blower is just barely starting to act that way too.  I think I need to start with fresh good non-ethanol fuel in it and use some stabilizer.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @skennelly , get some sea foam. Use more than recommended. Run it at idle for a while then let it sit overnight and try the next day. Sounds like a fuel restriction somewhere.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    If you continue to prime the carb will it continue to run? If not maybe check the on/off switch and the wires leading to and from it. Be sure to clean the spark arrestor on the exhaust as they will cause issues as well.
  • Options
    captkevincaptkevin Member Posts: 207 ✭✭
    One thing i did for all my 2 stroke engines was to switch over to the premixed gas in a can without ethanol. Not cheap but everything runs & starts much better. Have a 3 year old Echo weedwacker that starts on 1 or 2 pull everytime. Has never had anything but ethanol free gas from a can.
    2004 232
    2021 Yamaha Fx svho
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    had a problem like that on my portable generator turned out there was a piece of branch that fell in the tank and kept clogging the line when it started up 
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will it stay running if you start it and then remove the gas cap (maybe the vent is blocked)?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    It might be a compression problem. My old one I use to run out of gas and then refill it. Then it stopped running in a similar way and through the spark plug hole you can see the cylinders scored up. Probably from running it' dry and losing the lubrication.
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    YYZRC said:
    Will it stay running if you start it and then remove the gas cap (maybe the vent is blocked)?
    @skennelly
    Betcha its the gas cap. If it runs for a while & starves out - big indicator.
    Up here we get earwigs that hide out in the gas caps & plug the vent. Happens all the time in mowers.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aqua_Aura said:
    @PickleRick is gonna be all over this 😃

I guess he's busy this week  
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    I'll play with it some more with the gas cap suggestion
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mattie said:

I used to have that problem, but now I just think about baseball and get way past just two...😉
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The last one I bought, and it has lasted a couple seasons, i complained at lowes about replacing it. The guy in the department handed me a can of their pre mixed fuel, 20 bucks for a can of it....seems to be working better. I always used non ethanol fuel but that does seem to be enough...
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Just last week, I caved in and bought a weed whacker blower combo. 40 volt, my arm was sore from pulling on the 20+ year old echo's. Kobalt from lowes.  I think around $250 so far we like it, no more mixing. Maybe had it 7-10 days so cannot give a review yet.

forgot the best part, the wife can use it, when I'm not home. As she could not start the gas ones. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Check the spark arrestor screen on the exhaust.  You can clean them with a propane torch to burn the crud off them.  

Always use non-ethanol gas in your small engines! 

This guy has great small engine vids too:

https://youtu.be/7-VpdJEJRRw

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    I agree with captkevin, the small cans of premixed 50:1 fuel are great. I have a Husqvarna chainsaw that was very hard to start. I started using the VP fuels product and it starts on the second or third pull now. Andy  https://www.amazon.com/Small-Engine-Fuels-6238-Ethanol-Free/dp/B00W9595JG/ref=sr_1_2?crid=821MJQHL43JD&keywords=vp+fuels&qid=1654881623&sprefix=vp+fuels,aps,135&sr=8-2

• Options
    I F'd around with it today some more.  It ran on full chock for 15 or 20 minutes with a ton of seafoam in the tank.  But didn't make a difference.  If I pump the gas bulb while it's running it runs great...so I know it's fuel delivery.  I took the carb off and blasted it with carb cleaner and didn't help.  I ordered a new carb off Amazon for $15...if that doesn't work I'm taking it to an lawn mower repair place for a tuneup.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    Best thing I ever did to my gas powered weed whacker was bring it to the curb… bought a 60v Dewalt and never looked back. 
  • Options
    captkevincaptkevin Member Posts: 207 ✭✭
    I have had better success shooting compressed air threw carburetors to clear blockages. Have repaired several non running engines that way. 
    2004 232
    2021 Yamaha Fx svho
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Electrics are nice if you have limited trimming to do and not heavy grass/weeds.  

I have a 1 tank limit for weedwacking, about 90 minutes or so.  Takes me 5 tanks to trim my property. 🤪🤪

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    skennelly said:
    I F'd around with it today some more.  It ran on full chock for 15 or 20 minutes with a ton of seafoam in the tank.  But didn't make a difference.  If I pump the gas bulb while it's running it runs great...so I know it's fuel delivery.  I took the carb off and blasted it with carb cleaner and didn't help.  I ordered a new carb off Amazon for $15...if that doesn't work I'm taking it to an lawn mower repair place for a tuneup.
    Was having the same issue's as you a couple years ago. took it to the shop they charged me over $100.bucks. wish then I would had switched to batterie then. As two years later, same issues. This time,  I'd rather take to the landfill. Using them a little more now I'd recommend them. there are a lot of good brands, and reviews on them. I have 2.5 acres, but weed killer does most of the work.  
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    If the new $15 carb works...I'll just buy a new carb every Spring..lol
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    It sounded like you put a new carburetor on already. I would try  a compression check.That could limit gas flow. Testors are free at AutoZone
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    @toolmaker312 Last year I replaced the carb.  I have a compression tester.

If I have to rebuild the engine I'm doing a stroker kit on it...maybe a turbo as well.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like the pulse pump to me.  That fixed my deck mower that had similar issues. 
    2000 Captiva 232