Options

AM Radio Antenna

TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭
Sometimes while sitting on the boat we like to listen to a baseball game, which is mostly on AM radio. Our radio and antenna works great on FM, but horrible on AM. I opened up the cabinet and we have this type antenna installed from the factory...

I know I can go the Shakespeare route with a dedicated arch mount AM/FM antenna, but don't feel like drilling holes and routing cables -- so is there anything better than what I have that I can install - and keep hidden in the cabinet that would be decent for AM signals?

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those antenna are good for AM. They do need to be stretched out though to work.  

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    I agree that it should work well with AM.  Make sure they don't overlap each other and as BD said, stretch it out in a big "T" shape.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Get some big zip ties and put it out when it sounds like you rarely need it...are the games on you tube or some other streaming service ?
    Post edited by rasbury on
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I split the signal coming from the tv antenna and sent it to my radio. Might be an option for you. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    DanWDanW Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
    I did the same thing as Greg on my old boat, split the signal from the arch mounted antenna to the tv and radio. It worked well. 
    2002 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee
    1998 Regal 2100 LSR