battery switch location (and a few other questions)

boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 797 ✭✭✭
So yesterday my mother and step-father came out and tied off with us in their new to them boat (they bought it towards the end of last season). They had a pontoon prior to that. The new boat is a 2004 Stingray 24' cabin cruiser. Anyway, their battery was dead when they went to leave the dock. He knows nothing about boats but thats another story. Anyway, he jumps it and gets it started so comes out to us. He said he went down early in the morning and started the boat then turned the air on. Later in the day the battery is dead even though it was plugged into shore power the whole day. So I ask what battery he had it set to and he had no idea. I asked where the battery switch was and he had no idea. So turns out the switch is under the engine hatch. A real pain to get to. He had to stand on the swim platform and lean back with his weight to open it (he is 70). Pretty dangerous. So it was set to 'ALL' and there are3 batteries. I assume 2 house and 1 start. No gennie. There is also an inverter but I don't know much about those.
I told him I would have that battery switch moved to a location easier to get to.
Also, there is a switch on the panel on the 12V side that says 'Mermaid Air'. He said that switch had to be turned on for the air to work? Any input on this? Why 12V?
All 3 batteries are new and this isn't the first time they have been dead. I switched it to 1 then when they went to leave it wouldn't start. I switched it to 'ALL' and it started.
They are pretty disgusted and ready to sell it cause it just isn't fun. Every time they want to use it the batteries are dead.
Obvious things to check are to be sure the battery charger is working but anything else jump out that I should look at? Maybe the inverter? the 12V Mermaid Air?

Comments