Options

A/C Question

TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2022 in Electrical Discussions
Wondering about how the A/C is supposed to work/cycle. We have this type of thermostat...

My normal procedure is once aboard, turn on A/C 120V breaker.

Then power up unit by pressing on/off button. Depending on ambient temp and set temp, fan and condenser will come on.

Once the unit reaches the set temp, the condenser turns off, but the fan keeps running.

Fan never turns off. The condenser just cycles on/off based on the set temp.

Is that the normal operation? Our home unit shuts down completely (fan off) when set temp is reached. Then everything comes back on when cooling is called for.

Is there a way to do the same with this unit? I'd prefer the fan doesn't run 24/7.

Comments

• Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 739 ✭✭✭
    I have the same unit, but I never paid attention to it. I going to the boat tomorrow and I will check to see what happen with the unit turn off. I will let you know tomorrow
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    You can set the fan to cycle with the compressor if you want. Not sure how well that would work if you are using the temp probe at the coil, however. 

2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yours is working properly, the factory default setting is for the fan to always run with the compressor cycling as needed. As shown above you can change a setting to have the fan only run when the compressor runs. I’ll tell you though when we bought our first Rinker I felt the same and changed the setting and after 2 weekends changed it back to always on. We liked the constant air flow, white noise, etc
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Set the fan to A for auto, it will auto speed and shutoff if I recall. You are aware of the dehumidifier function?

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Thanks everybody! I'll read through the manual @YYZRC posted and set it up to the P-14 mode, though @Liberty44140 may be right. I might miss the white noise aspect.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I had my boat slipped, I would leave the air conditioner on in Humidity mode during the week. That way it would cycle on for a few minutes every four or so hours. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    We do the same - in HU1 mode when not there.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    How does one engage humidity mode?
  • Options
    You hold 2 buttons down together. Wish I could remember which two (it’s different on my cruisers)

• Options
    You hold 2 buttons down together. Wish I could remember which two (it’s different on my cruisers)
    With A/C running press the on/off and temp down buttons together briefly. Display will show HU1

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 531 ✭✭✭
    I always remember it by saying “power-down” at the end of boat day
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 739 ✭✭✭
    TonyG13, My ac fan continue running  even the ac compressor is off. 
  • Options
    oscar1 said:
    TonyG13, My ac fan continue running  even the ac compressor is off. 
    Thanks! Seems like that's the default setting. I'm going to try and reset mine tomorrow to the P-14 and Humidity Mode parameters and see if I like it that way.
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the idea of running the AC on humidity mode all summer, I just don’t like the idea of leaving the AC running while I’m not there. Would hate for a hose to fail and start pumping in water. 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    I like the idea of running the AC on humidity mode all summer, I just don’t like the idea of leaving the AC running while I’m not there. Would hate for a hose to fail and start pumping in water. 
    That is exactly why I don't do it. Even with a high water alarm that will set off a camera and text me if it hears the alarm.. I'm too far away to do anything about it and if a hose fails there is no way a bilge pump is going to keep up with it. So far I dont notice any problem with letting the boat heat up, I have tinted the windows and I usually leave one of them open on the side, rain doesnt ever get in it seems. 
  • Options
    @J3ff and your in way hotter weather than most of us!  I keep all 3 hatch covers closed and the portlight curtains closed. I also keep two small Damp Rid buckets in the cabin and empty them when needed. I don’t see any issues either. The cabin cools down very quickly with the new AC unit when we arrive at the boat. I haven’t upgraded to the WI-FI option yet….
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    I have always been surprised how cool the cabin stays in the heat- even out of the water. Until you open it up at least. I'm guessing our 270's probably have larger capacity systems than they need. I don't think I have mine set right-if that fan is running, it's pretty darn quiet. 

Keeping up with these boats is not for the faint of heart.
  • Options
    @rasbury , you should take a step in my 330 in the middle of winter. It’s crazy how cold it gets. The wind is blocked but no insulation at all!! If the sun is on it, it warms up some.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    aero3113 said:
    @J3ff and your in way hotter weather than most of us!  I keep all 3 hatch covers closed and the portlight curtains closed. I also keep two small Damp Rid buckets in the cabin and empty them when needed. I don’t see any issues either. The cabin cools down very quickly with the new AC unit when we arrive at the boat. I haven’t upgraded to the WI-FI option yet….
    Yes, here's the current temp.... Little hot at the moment! Have seen it hit 101 at the top. It does only take about 20 mins to cool it off nicely, the new AC was very much worth it as it can get the temperature almost too cold even when the sun is directly over head.  At night I've woken up freezing... 73 is just about the right temp. 

• Options
    I like the dehumidify option as it helps to keep the air a little dryer, even with the hatches and portholes closed and the air gets circulated at intervals. As far as popping a hose and flooding out when the pump runs at times (if it needs to), I would be more concerned about other sources of water intrusion in the engine bay.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    I agree that having the AC (humidity mode) run all the time is a good way to sink a boat.  It also allows more things to build up much quicker in the those water lines.  Just be prepared to do some cleaning after one summer of continuous use.  Also need to check the strainer more often.  I just keep 2 damp rids in my cabin thru the summer. Stays dry and after 10 minutes, it's cool.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Ian said:
    I like the dehumidify option as it helps to keep the air a little dryer, even with the hatches and portholes closed and the air gets circulated at intervals. As far as popping a hose and flooding out when the pump runs at times (if it needs to), I would be more concerned about other sources of water intrusion in the engine bay.
    At least if a hose goes in the engine bay while you’re not there it won’t be under constant pump pressure and you’re bilge pump has a chance to keep up with it. 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    I guess your AC would shut it off with HPF fault possibly.  I just don't like things running while I'm not there.  It doesn't matter much to me, as I'm on a lift and my AC won't be running. :wink:

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    edited June 2022

On the way to the boat for a run out to a reef... Going to see how well it cools down in 20 mins
    Just turned it on

• Options
    edited June 2022
    Yours is working properly, the factory default setting is for the fan to always run with the compressor cycling as needed. As shown above you can change a setting to have the fan only run when the compressor runs. I’ll tell you though when we bought our first Rinker I felt the same and changed the setting and after 2 weekends changed it back to always on. We liked the constant air flow, white noise, etc
    So I played with the parameters this morning and definitely did not like the P-14 setting. Cabin felt too hot before the compressor and fan kicked back on.

What I did do was reset the high and low fan limits (P-2 & P-3). Instead of the default high speed of 95 I set it to 70 so now it's not blowing like a hurricane 24/7. I've got a nice breeze constantly throughout the cabin - with a nice low white noise volume to drown outside annoyances - but still hear the TV, radio, etc.

Would not have been able to figure this out without everyone's input and help. Thanks!

Post edited by TonyG13 on
  • Options
  • Options
    Awesome, glad it worked out!

• Options
    Perfect!