Options

Location of Ground Block - 2005 FV 320

AtlanticJimAtlanticJim Member Posts: 27
My electrician suggested that my electrical problems are probably related to grounding issues which "are notorious on Rinker boats". 
Where is/are the grounding block or blocks on my boat? My manuals can't help me with this.

Comments

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    My 2003 FV310 has it starboard side above poop tank if that helps. What issues are you having - I was under the same impression until I found my not old batteries were done. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Found it 
    yes above the poop tank
  • Options
    OP Update

My secondary Garmin screen (little programmable one) was completely out and my VHF wasnt working except for a slight hiss when it was turned on. Also my underwater lights were not working.

Yesterday the wife was working and this was "track this down" day. I pulled the helm panels, checked the function of the switches with a VOM and then traced the wires to the circuit breaker panel in the lower part of the helm.

One by one I checked the breakers and found the one for the VHF  had the Garmin power spliced in and was only allowing 1.4v through. The one for the underwaterlights was only allowing 5v through.

Marine supply store three miles away (NOT WM!) had them and I was in and out in 7 minutes, repair done thirty minutes later.

I love a $16 fix!
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My electrician suggested that my electrical problems are probably related to grounding issues which "are notorious on Rinker boats". 
    Where is/are the grounding block or blocks on my boat? My manuals can't help me with this.
    Never heard this one before. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    A google search convinces me that ground block issues are common in all older boats except high-end brands ... and Rinker is a value brand, not a high-end brand.