Options

Trent Severn Delays

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)

Comments

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That’s so frustrating. I’m no engineer but nothing about lock 44 looks efficient to me. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Considering the change in elevation and the presence of the hydro-electric generating station, I'm not sure how else they could do it? A hydraulic lift like at Peterborough ? There's not enough of a ridge of land to install traditional locks unless they dig a huge canal around the whole thing which will never happen between privately held land, environmental concerns and the fact that although an economic boost from recreational boating, the system actually loses money hand over fist. There has been growing resentment/opposition to the entire system from people who see it as their tax dollars supporting a "rich" persons boating habit. Only intense lobbying from the communities and businesses along the way keep the entire thing open at all. 
    Thoughts?
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would happily pay an annual boat registration fee to support initiatives like modernizing the locks. It is crazy that there is no annual registration fee. 

Ideally, my proposed fee would treated like school system funding (public vs catholic) where you direct the funds to the region of your preference. I also think the fee to use the locks is much too low.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay