Pulling a tube

I’m reading horror stories about Rinkers pulling tubes, blowing out transom assemblies. I have an 05 360 with twin VP 5.7 GI. Is this really something I should worry about? I just got a tube and haven’t even used it yet. 
Dan of Steel
'05 Rinker 360 Fiesta Vee

Comments

• YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could see yanking a rotten cleat out of the boat. Transom assemblies would be fine. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use the “D” rings on the lower transom.
    2008 330EC
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    We pulled water skis' and tubes with 270. No problem. Never heard anything about transom assem. going bad.  it does not have any thing to do with it, and Rinker has the same Merc transom assem. as all other boats. Now curious where you heard this info. 
    Post edited by raybo3 on
    Boat Name : 

• echandler1971echandler1971 Member Posts: 165 ✭✭
    randy56 said:
    We pulled water skis' and tubes with 270. No problem. Never heard anything about transom assem. going bad.  it does not have any thing to do with it, and Rinker has the same Merc transom assem. as all other boats. Now curious where you heard this info. 
    It was a recent FB post in a Rinker group. My wife keyed in on that and put my plans of pulling a tube in doubt. That lead to me asking the many Rinker experts and users in this group to try and quell (or possibly confirm) those fears.
    Dan of Steel
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I pulled a tube with my 270 no problem by using a water ski bridle attached to the two trailer tie down loops on either side of the transom below the swim platform. Kept the tow line out of the way too. Be sure to use a floating one so it doesn't get caught in the props when slowing down.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • Griffs_AboardGriffs_Aboard Member Posts: 15
    edited July 2022
    Pulled a tube for years on Rinker 250FV and Rinker 290EC using swim platform cleats.  I made sure the tow line was on a self centering harness at least 15 feet. I would recommend a tow booster or significant float on the line to minimize added strain of the harness in the water\wake. I never had any issues or even visible wear on the cleats.  Pulled both 2 person and 4 person towables.
  • laureniac1laureniac1 Member Posts: 253 ✭✭✭
    Same here with the water ski bridle to the cleats on back of boat. The 270 Rinker is a tubing machine lol 
    Anyone have a link to this “bridle” that would work on a 360 with a 13.5’ width? I assume I hook it to D rings and it floats out past the swim platform? I wonder if I can hold it with the dinghy davits when not in use and to keep it from getting in the outdrives?  
    Dan of Steel
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t recall any post on the Facebook pages that I am the admin for about a transom being pulled apart by a tuber. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    I don’t recall any post on the Facebook pages that I am the admin for about a transom being pulled apart by a tuber. 
    it wasn’t the transom. It was the transom assembly. Apparently had to pull an engine to fix - $20k
    Dan of Steel
  • Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
    My pop up cleats on the 280 swim platform are just slightly bent so they can be hard to pull up but not really any issue. It would not surprise me if the previous owner pulled from these, not sure what else would cause this. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
    @Aqua_Aura I have a bent one on my starboard side, and it will not fully stow. I always wonder how it happened.
    2008 330EC
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it wasn’t the transom. It was the transom assembly. Apparently had to pull an engine to fix - $20k
    I'm having a hard time envisioning how pulling a tube lead to having to change a transom assembly. Too much strain? Hardly. A fully loaded 270 already approaches 2 tons and many owners put a thousand hours on an assembly without issue. I suspect poor maintenance and an already worn gimbal, output shaft etc and things happened to grenade while pulling a tube and the owner blamed it on that. In a properly maintained 270 and with a properly rigged harness the only thing that will suffer pulling a tube is your fuel bill.😉
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
    It’s possible that the tow line got tangled around the drive and he continued to pull and did damage to the assembly. But that would be VERY odd/almost impossible (with the correct harness) thing to happen.
    2008 330EC
    Correct harness and I think there is a float ball you can add as well to keep the line up since it's tied so low. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
    edited July 2022
    Aqua_Aura said:
    Correct harness and I think there is a float ball you can add as well to keep the line up since it's tied so low. 
    I have an old Nerf football that would work for that, but depending on how it lays, I may hook the middle of the rope around the davits for the dinghy so long as I see the primary load still transfers down to the D rings on the transom. The davits would just be guides and prevent outdrive intrusion. I won’t know until i try. I could also just use the davits to hold the harness when not in use (driving out to the tubing area)
    Dan of Steel
  • davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    If you read it on Facebook it must be true.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @echandler1971 think about the physics. How hard could a skier's arms pull on your boat?  Guessing 25-30 pounds while skiing?  Maybe 50 pounds for a few seconds when trying to get up?  Your 8-ton boat won't even notice it.  Go for it!   :)
    So how did you end up connecting the line to the boat? 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
    Aqua_Aura said:
    So how did you end up connecting the line to the boat? 
    I got a proper harness (Airhead, I think) and connected it to the D-rings on the transom. It worked fine and no issues with the outdrives grabbing it.
    Dan of Steel