Options

my 2008 260 will not start on one battery

bigmoteese1952bigmoteese1952 Member Posts: 20
both batteries are new.It starts easily on both batteries when switched over.Also ,both 30 amp fuses are good behind the selector switches.Any ideas? thanks  Terry

Answers

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Not much history of the issue, but starting is pretty simple. Be looking at cable connections to the starter and ground...perhaps a starter issue. Not a mechanic by any stretch but seems I easily found starter checking with a meter. I was able to have mine rebuilt. 

Forgot to mention my starter is slab dab on the bottom of the motor and easily wet. Anyway, getting off topic.
    Post edited by rasbury on
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Were you able to start the boat on one battery when the batteries were replaced or this issue started when the new batteries went in?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    has always been like this since i bought it last year
  • Options
    Did you replace the batteries or they were new from the previous owner?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    i replaced them
  • Options
    Check the selector switch, I would check the connections on the backside and clean if needed.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And as crazy as it sounds, and not doubting your work, but re-check the connections. I once thought I'd tightened them all but had missed a ground.
    Test the batteries also, it's rare but not unheard of to get a brand new battery that is faulty.and what @aero3113 said above.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    THANKS WILL DO
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I recall correctly, the battery selector switch is confusing on the 260.  I think, if it's on 1, it means engine runs from battery 1, and house is on 2. It doesn't mean that 2 is off. And both means both 1 and 2 ... and switch position 2 does nothing ... 

I'm not 100% sure ...  but I know it wasn't obvious, so I'd check out the wiring.

Do you even here the starter trying to turn over (clicking) if it's on 1 or 2? You should here clicking at least ... if not, I'd say you have isolated the batteries from the engine in those switch positions.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    thanks i do get a clicking on number one but not enough to start the engine  it starts easily on both.
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Open the panel and check the connection on the back of the selector switch. Sounds like #1 is bad somewhere and you seem to have eliminated the battery and possibly the connections at the battery. The selector switch could be bad internally as well. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On that boat, your switch should say "Off-On-Combine(or Emergency Start)" You should not be able to select 1-both-2 from that switch. If you can, someone replaced the switch with a non factory one. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On that boat, your switch should say "Off-On-Combine(or Emergency Start)" You should not be able to select 1-both-2 from that switch. If you can, someone replaced the switch with a non factory one. 
    Greg, my 2012 260EC had a switch with a 1, 2, off position. I believe it was wired for off, 1, combine ... the normal position was 1, then 2 meant combined.  I think Rinker used what they could get their hands on

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
    After you get it started, put a meter on each battery to see if it is charging both of them. That could point to which one is the problem. 
    2000 Captiva 232