30 amp shore power at home.

oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 729 ✭✭✭
I have to do a new 30 amp shore power for the boat at home and I would like to know what are the best way to do it. Thx

Comments

• Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
    I have done many of these over the years for numerous reasons outside of boats. I recently did 50 amp 220v plugs at my house for my car. Is this a plug that will power the boat on land? If so you probably don't need that much power and an adapter to a regular outlet would work if your just wanting to operate the charger and some light appliances. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with @Aqua_Aura . Unless you were trying to run air conditioning which is a whole other issue with the water pick up and discharge, 15 amp will run the charger and keep the fridge cold. 
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't run wiring through my yard specifically for my boat but running my boat is one of the perks.

I tied into the main power at outside power post.  Dug a trench...with a trencher....and ran the proper sized wire.

I have a storage building I ran a 30 amp to for a storage freezer, this breaker is in the main breaker box.

I then ran one 30 amp, one 20 amp and one 220 out to my carport where I do my tinkering.  Those breakers are located in a new breaker box mounted inside the carport. It also required me to put in a new ground rod.  

When I run the boat ac at home on the trailer I unplug the water pump.  I detach the intake line from my filter housing and adapt a garden hose to it with an adjustable inline valve.  I then turn on the garden hose and adjust the water outlet until she's peeing out the thru hull about the same amount as what the pump does, house pressure is @80 psi so it's important you regulate it.  I then turn on the ac for about and hour before I start any work inside the cabin.   I could possibly run the ac pump but I worry the water pressure from the garden hose may damage the impeller.  

Being in Miami you might be required to use a certified electrician to do the install.  I am not an electrician but I can dig a trench.  I ran all the wires from point A to point B then called 1800-DAD to finish the skilled portion.   

• oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 729 ✭✭✭
    what type of outdoor electrical panel are you using for the big shore power inlet plug
    edited July 2022
    I'm using your genetic Lowe's outdoor breaker panel wired to regular galvanized outdoor outlets, however I'm running standard 110v house outlets.  I have a 30 amp adapter I attach to the end of my shore power plug.  They make the breaker panels in different sizes and for different brand breakers.    

The main purpose for my carport/metal garage wiring was for lights, my 110 Lincoln flux core welder and a 40 gallon air compressor.  

Having 30 amps on tap to run the ac was just a perk.  If I was going to run it often id have a dedicated shore power plug wired in.  I back my boat up to the carport, as it won't fit under it.  My outlet is mostly used to charge up my batteries after a weekend on the lake or run the fans/charge up the night before launch.  

That spool of wire under the back end of the 4 runner is what I ran for my 30amp 110v and my 220v.  The wire was the most costly part. 

edited July 2022
    my breaker panel and 30 amp outlet.  I'm still waiting on my "electrician" to come finish my 220 outlet but since it's lake going weather I'm not going to be getting my dad off the water any time soon.  

Please ignore the obvious OSHA violation white wire....my electrician also hasn't properly ran the lights to their own breaker so they don't dim when the air compressor kicks on or while I'm welding.
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    I really wish electrical stuff made any sense to me...
    rasbury said:
    I really wish electrical stuff made any sense to me...
    me too
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭✭
    All it takes is education. Key lesson I told my new home owner son - don’t touch the black as thats the color they’ll wear at your funeral. First thing he relates to me when telling me he did some electrical work.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

Ian said:
    All it takes is education. Key lesson I told my new home owner son - don’t touch the black as thats the color they’ll wear at your funeral. First thing he relates to me when telling me he did some electrical work.
    haaaaaa