Options

Travel time and mileage

Hello All,  I have a 2000 232 Captiva w/350 MAG MPI and Bravo 3 outdrive.

I am wondering if anyone has taken their similar boat on long(er) trips and how long it took them and gas mileage.  I know a lot depends on cruising speed and weather but looking for averages ?

My Marina is Safe harbor Jefferson Beach (St. Clair shores).  Based on nautical mile chart here are some trips I am thinking of doing.

1) Sarnia/Port Huron: approximately 48 miles
2) Lexington: approximately 69 miles
3) Harbor Beach: approximately 109 miles.

Thanks for your time,
Alan

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    So, our first boat was a 1997 24' Sea Ray Sundancer.  We would do 1 or 2 ten day trips on the boat, always staying at marinas overnight.  As far as distance, on our 10 day trips we would go as far as maybe 100 miles away (one-way).  Let me look up Annapolis to Salisbury by water....yep, about 80 or so miles.  Long weekends we would do maybe 45 miles one way (Annapolis to Solomons or Cambridge).

So, I think if, like you said, weather allowed, you could do those trips easily.  I always like to stay at a place for at least two nights.  It allows me to relax a bit more.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Punch it into Navionics and you will get your time and fuel economy based on your normal cruising speed. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've done Port Huron and Lexington but my mileage wont be comparable. I dont think that you will have any issues with Port Huron as you will be in the river all the way. Lexington is 20 miles out in the lake but if its a nice flat day I dont see why 20 miles from Port Huron would be a problem for you. I'd recommend checking out the St Clair Boat Basin. It's in the middle of the St Clair river and is a really cool spot. It's a Michigan state park marina. Very short walk in to a nice little town. We jumped in the river and floated down it like a lazy river and had a blast. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey Alan,
    For reference your 232 with the 5.7L should be just over 3+ mpg @ 27-30mph.

As Liberty said, careful in Lake Huron. Big water that changes fast. Make sure you have good weather for a couple days if you overnight in Lexington.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    captkevincaptkevin Member Posts: 211 ✭✭
    Our 2004 232 has a 75 gallon fuel tank. Not sure on your year but if it has the 75 gallon tank that should give a nice range. We have same engine & drive. It is very good on fuel.
    2004 232
    2021 Yamaha Fx svho
  • Options
    kennydalglishkennydalglish Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    Thanks for all the good input.  Liberty,  I will keep the St. Clair Basin in mind if I do make the trip up the river to Sarnia.