Options

Battery issues

Hi all,
a couple questions regarding my 2009 rinker 340.
About 2 months into this boating season by radio stopped working, and after running my generator I came to realize the radio would work when the generator was running. Would this be because the battery for radio is getting weak? But the radio wouldn’t work even if the boat was running, now basically nothing works unless generator is on or shore power is connected. But the boat starts with ease every time. 
Anyone else have this happen, and maybe it is just the batteries for accessories are dead?
thanks a lot for your help. 
Brett 

Comments

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is your house battery switch turned on? Charging breaker ok?

2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    brettwilliambrettwilliam Member Posts: 15
    Yes, house batter is on, all charging breakers are good 
  • Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    I have the same boat, 2008 version.  Some radios seem very sensitive to low voltage.  With generator running or on shore power (with battery charger ON) your devices are getting something like 13.4 volts instead of 12.?.   This might indicate your house batteries are weak.  They are the 2 forward batteries on the port side.  OR, batteries are fine, but there’s a bad connection between the batteries and the radio.  A check could be, with no genny, shorepower, or engine running, measure voltage at battery, then at radio.  If much lower at radio, bad connection somewhere.  Had the exact problem but with my cabin fridge.  
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would swap one of the starting batteries over to the house circuit and see what happens. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    Not sure why radio wouldn’t work with engine running unless alternator is not charging house bank, only starter batteries.
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Have you looked at fuses?  I was having off radio issues and then it became other issues like led cabin lights are dim and one day the macerator quit.  The radio was turning off when volume was cranked or any time you flush the toilet. I could wiggle fuses when I was having power issues and said item would work again.  System wouldn't give issues when Genny or engine was running as the 13.5+ charging voltage was higher than the 12.6 or so when there's no charge to batteries 

My issue was corrosion.  Cleaning the fuses helped but there was so much corrosion that in short time I was having issues again.  My permanent fix was a new fuse panel.   Pita but I upgraded and now have more fuses for future accessories.   Like an automatic admiral ejection seat or water cannon 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    Failed battery isolator?
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Thinking same, if okay on shore or generator then isolator not pushing through alternator feed.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/