Options

2006 360EC Battery knowledge needed

LeReveLeReve Member Posts: 9
The battery for my starboard motor is dead. I am a rookie and don't know which battery to change. I know "MEGA-ROOKIE". I have looked through my manual but find nothing specific. I also looked in the engine compartment but did not see any indication of "port" or "starboard". Any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    If you don't already have one, get yourself a voltmeter then test each battery. They are not expensive (you can find a decent one for under $30). And it's an essential boat tool that everyone should own and learn how to use. That will definitively tell you which battery is bad.
  • Options
    prgrod01prgrod01 Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
    if one battery is dead, likely others are close behind as well. if your lucky there will be the manufacture date stamp or sticker to let you know how old they are. 

if you know what engine you can follow the very large black or red cables from the engine back to the battery. black comes from a ground stud on the backside of the engine block. red comes form the starter, lower bottom of the engine.
    2001 Rinker 242
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    Physically tracing battery cables can be difficult.  Often the cable just disappears into a bundle.  It's easier to disconnect each battery one at a time, and see what stops working.  Then label each cable for next time.  
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    Physically tracing battery cables can be difficult.  Often the cable just disappears into a bundle.  It's easier to disconnect each battery one at a time, and see what stops working.  Then label each cable for next time.  
    Thank you!
  • Options
    prgrod01 said:
    if one battery is dead, likely others are close behind as well. if your lucky there will be the manufacture date stamp or sticker to let you know how old they are. 

if you know what engine you can follow the very large black or red cables from the engine back to the battery. black comes from a ground stud on the backside of the engine block. red comes form the starter, lower bottom of the engine.
    Thank you!
  • Options
    TonyG13 said:
    If you don't already have one, get yourself a voltmeter then test each battery. They are not expensive (you can find a decent one for under $30). And it's an essential boat tool that everyone should own and learn how to use. That will definitively tell you which battery is bad.
    Thank you!
  • Options
    So I tested both "starter" batteries (cables disconnected) with a multi-meter set to DCV 20 (closest setting to 12V) and both batteries registered 13.54V. I am of course stumped... Could it be a fuse? I wanted examine the fuse at the battery switch box, but I didn't know how to remove the fuses.. Anymore suggestions on next steps for troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated 🙂 🙏 
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    You started the thread by saying the starboard battery was dead. What led you to that conclusion? Did you try starting the boat and the starboard side didn’t react when turning the key? If so, check the circuit breaker on the top of the starboard engine. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    YYZRC said:
    You started the thread by saying the starboard battery was dead. What led you to that conclusion? Did you try starting the boat and the starboard side didn’t react when turning the key? If so, check the circuit breaker on the top of the starboard engine. 
    I thought the starboard battery was dead (my mistake) as the starter was "clicking" when I tried to start it. Being a boat newb... My only experience with that particular clicking noise was a dead battery on a car and I didn't realize it could be something else.... Should I still check the circuit breaker or does the fact the starter was clicking change your advice? Sorry for the initial misinformation, and thank you for providing your advice, time and experience!!! :)
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    When you check the battery voltage, make sure the battery charger is turned off.  Otherwise, the voltage you see will just be the output of the charger.  
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭✭
    Thinking the same. Also, hold the meter leads onto the battery and have someone turn it over, see the voltage then.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    If the starter was clicking, it’s not the breaker. Good advice above. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    prgrod01prgrod01 Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
    I am wondering if you heard the starter solenoid clicking only? 

If you have a second pair of hands/ears, see if it was the solenoid or if you can hear the starter engage. maybe a bad starter, or starter wiring problem. Maybe just need a love tap or two to free up the starter if your lucky.
    2001 Rinker 242