Options

Rising temperature on starboard engine

Both of my engines usually run at 175 degrees. The past couple of weeks I noticed my starboard engine temperature rising above the 175 when I’m driving the boat. If I back off on the speed it tends to come down. My antifreeze looks good. When I touch the impeller it is cool. Any ideas what could be going on?

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    If the metal surfaces inside the pump get worn or scored, the pump will start to lose efficiency.  The only way to find out is remove the impeller and look inside the pump.  
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could also be a sign that your risers are reaching the end of their service life. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Try taking off the end caps of the heat exchanger and cleaning the tubes and the area around the end caps. Very little debris can cause that problem and very easy to do. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it sounds like you’re impeller housing and impeller need to be looked at/replaced. Are you in fresh or salt water? Do you have dry joint or wet joint manifolds? Being that you have antifreeze running through, your manifolds should last a long time. There can also be a restriction in one of you hoses causing the overheat at high RPM’s. As @raybo3 said, a good place to start for that is your heat exchanger.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    tricountytrailtricountytrail Member Posts: 186 ✭✭
    Agree with all above.
    I had same problem here is what I found.
    Port impeller was new but housing all grooved new pump on its way.