Options

410 Classification

Does anyone know the classification of the 2004 410?. I’m thinking a class b vessel. 

Comments

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Class b is a boat for hire that doesn't carry more than 6 people.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    mmccaslinmmccaslin Member Posts: 11
    The classification I’m looking for determines wind force and wave height. Thanks though. 
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Is this what you mean?

A Class A yacht ( boat ) is a vessel that is built to navigate the open ocean and surpass a force 8 on the Beaufort scale and surpass waves higher that 4 meters.   These yachts are constructed to be self sufficient in hostile seas.

A Class B yacht ( boat ) is a vessel built to navigate on the offshore waters (200 miles and less) and can substain UP TO force 8 and waves UP TO 4 meters.

A Class C boat is a vessel built to navigate inshore such as lakes, rivers, bays and close to the shore and can sustain UP TO force 6 and waves UP TO 2 meters.

A Class D boat is built for protected or sheltered waters such as canals, rivers, small lakes and sustain a force 4 and waves UP TO .3 meters (less that 1 ft).

According to the Beaufort Scale a Force 8 is up to 13-20 foot waves and 34-40 knot sustained winds (i.e. Gale).

Based on this, I'd say a 410 is a Class C?

Maybe the boat can physically take it, but I don't see your average captain taking on 13+ foot waves in a 410.

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
    On that scale, definitely Class C.  It's not an offshore boat, even for the bravest of captains.  
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    On that scale, definitely Class C.  It's not an offshore boat, even for the bravest of captains.  
    Al always had good stories about testing boats on the western basin of Lake Erie. I recall him mentioning that he tested a 280EC in 6 foot swells. I don’t get sea sick but that would put me down. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    Al always had good stories about testing boats on the western basin of Lake Erie. I recall him mentioning that he tested a 280EC in 6 foot swells. I don’t get sea sick but that would put me down. 

I've crossed the western basin of Lake Erie in 6-8 footers in a Sea Ray 290 SS and it was experience, thats for sure. Was an epic weekend at Put-in-Bay, but the ride there made me question my decisions in life. :D
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3