Options

It's the summer of Fixes over here.. "fixed" the trim down problem... now the boat wont start/run!

J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
Had a wire cut in the throttle lever up front, drive wouldn't go down. Fixed the wire. Now the boat wont start... something must have broken inside the shift control box.. 

Can't find the exact same one... does anyone know if this will work on a 2004 single engine FV 270? 

https://www.amazon.com/Mercury-Quicksilver-Parts-8M0011213-CONTROL/dp/B00475GFM6

The only difference I can see is that the part that allows you to engage forward in reverse is on the front of this one, vs on the side of mine... (which, I found the part that is supposed to lock out forward and backward was broken too!)

Here's mine.. 

Comments

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe your neutral interlock is broken. Just jump the wire at the engine. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Yes that's one problem for sure... The other problem is that it doesn't look like it wants to shift into fwd, but it will shift into rwd
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about the red cut off switch at the throttle?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like it’s down in your last pic? I think it should be up??
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    first thing I checked.. it is up, and when I moved it down and back up I got the loud "ready" beep from the motor. I think something broke in the control box when I removed the handle.. will take it apart tomorrow and take a look. 
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are only two possible causes at the binnacle - kill switch and neutral interlock. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    well it's not the kill switch! 
  • Options
    Ok Fixed.

It ended up that while messing around w/ the controls I knocked it into reverse without the engine on... and with the handle off lost track of where "N" was.. so in order not to break anything, I bypassed the N cut off switch, cranked the engine and lightly pulled on the shift cable to get it back to N. A few seconds later all was good again. Greased everything I could inside the shift control box, put it all together and off we go. Seems to be good again. 

Okay, what's next??