Options

Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi-H Belt

Hi All,

My engine belt was shredded last time out, looking for a replacement and also thoughts on causes. I have a 2008 280 EC with a Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi-H engine, anyone know the replacement part for the belt?

Also, seems to be some liquid leaking onto the belt (pic below) and spraying off. You can see the water line in the picture where the belt was spraying liquid into the bilge area.

Any thoughts on cause of the belt being shredded like this? I'm guessing it's not solely the result of an old/worn belt...

Comments

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Shredded belt I always think about pulley alignment.  Especially if it happens again after you replace the belt.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Consider purchasing 2 belts and keep the extra on board. When I replace my belt while doing maintenance, I keep the old one on board for emergency situations. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 5,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had the circ pump go on my old boat which was Volvo powered. It dripped onto the belt leaving the same rusty traces. That could also be the cause of your belt failure - check your circ pump bearings. You should be able to spin it by hand relatively easily. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check your water circulation pump and your power steering fluid. Possibly a bad seal or bearing on something causing a leak and misalignment. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    mvgvbmvgvb Member Posts: 42
    @YYZRC Circ pump seems to spin easily
    @Aqua_Aura power steering fluid is still full, it doesn't spin quite as easily as the circ pump, but still pretty good.

The raw water pump (red one at the bottom) won't turn, is that normal?

Attached two other pictures, anyone know what this black residue is everywhere? I don't remember it being there before, but it's covering everything in the area. 
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes it's because it is directly connected to the crankshaft so it wouldn't spin freely. 

The power steering pump looks suspect to me just from looking at the photo but it could be any of the pulleys. Check them all for any unusual play or sound. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    The dust looks like belt dust. I think @skennelly is pointing you in the right direction. Install a new belt and run the engine to find where your alignment issue is. 

Before you install the new belt, I would take a wire brush to your pulleys and then paint them. 

You also need to identify the height of the drip to determine where the leak is. It could be thermostat housing, circ pump, impeller housing...
    Post edited by YYZRC on
  • Options
    mvgvbmvgvb Member Posts: 42
    Thanks. Found the replacement belt so will give it a shot next weekend. What do you use for paint on pullies @YYZRC ?
  • Options
    Rust paint, any brand.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,631 mod
    I've had good luck with POR-15, but it's expensive and the leftover paint won't last very long in the can.  Get the tiny can and go hunting around for other corrosion to paint.  
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How old was the belt? When was the last time you checked it’s tension?
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,597 mod
    I'm betting the shaft on your water pump is leaking.  That's the exact thing that happened on mine a few years ago. That raw water can make things real nasty real quick too.  Let us know what you find.  I also agree about spare belts.  I always carry two new ones on board.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express