Options

Pump out charge

aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
Last year when I got gas I paid for a pump out since it was convenient. I paid $10 last year so I thought it was still $10. I got gas 2 weeks ago and didn’t check my receipt till I got home and saw they charged $20, I figured it was a mistake. Today I got gas and told them I was charged $20 for a pump out last time and they said that is correct. It’s now $20 if you buy gas, $30 if you just want a pump out 😳. My marina has a self pump out for free, I’m making sure I use that from now on!! 
2008 330EC

Comments

• Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭
    That's crazy. Everywhere around here it's free, even if you don't buy fuel.

I believe there is an EPA program that if a marina uses grant money to install a pump-out station there's a maximum charge of $5 (or something like that).

Anyway, I found a map of the NY State locations that get grant money:

https://nysefc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=d1548598aa4d4a5e8a52927e972fe29e

And here's the website: https://efc.ny.gov/clean-vessel

You may want to investigate and see if this guy is gouging.
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow!!! Our marina is always free for members/dockers and we can use it after hours. They have wrestled with a $5 fee when you don’t buy fuel but rules that out that since they don’t sell diesel. Id buy diesel from them if I could. Other area marinas are either always free, or charge $5 if you don’t buy fuel. $20-$30 is crazy. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭
    Just found it in the "Requirements" section:

https://efc.ny.gov/clean-vessel-construction-upgrade

If NY funded the pump-out, it's $5 max.
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    Last year when I got gas I paid for a pump out since it was convenient. I paid $10 last year so I thought it was still $10. I got gas 2 weeks ago and didn’t check my receipt till I got home and saw they charged $20, I figured it was a mistake. Today I got gas and told them I was charged $20 for a pump out last time and they said that is correct. It’s now $20 if you buy gas, $30 if you just want a pump out 😳. My marina has a self pump out for free, I’m making sure I use that from now on!! 
    Was always free in CT.. got to the keys and it was 20 bucks AND you had to buy gas and pump it yourself. There was a free boat that would come around , but then covid hit and some new group took over, it is now FORTY BUCKS minimum. and goes up from there if they pump a big tank out.. the rule now on my boat is no one uses the head other than an absolute emergency. So far it's been empty for 2 years. 
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The most I've paid was . 50 cents at a self service pump out otherwise it's free. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    Used to be a place that did it for free when u got gas now it’s $5 otherwise $10 at other places or if u don’t get gas.
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    I go to a place that it's free with pumpout.  The place closest to me always has higher fuel prices and charges $15 for a pumpout.  I spoke to the marina owner and said it was illegal to charge that much since they had state fund it.  He told me they don't fund the price it is to have a truck come pump out their tank.  That was the last time I stepped in that marina.

@J3ff you are crazy man!!  :smile:  I could not imagine not using my head!  

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    J3ff said:
    aero3113 said:
    Was always free in CT.. got to the keys and it was 20 bucks AND you had to buy gas and pump it yourself. There was a free boat that would come around , but then covid hit and some new group took over, it is now FORTY BUCKS minimum. and goes up from there if they pump a big tank out.. the rule now on my boat is no one uses the head other than an absolute emergency. So far it's been empty for 2 years. 
    @J3ff you’re crazy! LoL
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s up to $50 here for a pump out. My marina is free for “residents”.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    rmrstlmormrstlmo Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    Mine use to be free and they would come to my dock to do it during the week.  We have pump out hose attachments on every dock.  Now they charge $10 for that service.  All the money goes to the kid doing it so I don't really mine.  It is still free if take your boat over to the fuel dock.

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That’s a great service @rmrstlmo - our marina has a poop pump trailer that goes around and stinks up the area. Very classy. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    captkevincaptkevin Member Posts: 207 ✭✭
    This is a really crappy thread. lol
    2004 232
    2021 Yamaha Fx svho
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    I believe the maximum that can be charged is $5 in NY.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I might be wrong, but I seem to recall paying $20 for a pump out on Kelleys Island in Ohio. Could be because it’s an island and they were only pump out on the island. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,547 mod
    Here on the Potomac, it's generally $5.  If the attendant does the work for me, I'll add a $5 tip.  
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Free in my harbor to everyone...resident or not.  We have pump out stations separate from the fuel dock as well if you don't need fuel.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3