Options

Almost lost Dream’Inn

Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,566 mod
About two weeks ago I get a dreaded call from my marina.  I fear when a see a call from there cause it can’t be good.  We had a really bad storm and well, the next morning my boat was found at the top of the lift with it still running. 
I’m very fortunate the belts burned up and the boat stayed up.  One motor burned up, wiring burned up (shouldn’t have happened I know), 4 belts burned, control box gone.  
Luckily the marina chained the boat up and then replaced what was needed to get her down safely.  Even luckier the marina had parts on hand! It took a couple days, but she came back down!  I still have cables and pulleys to replace, but all is good.  I’ve now learned to always turn breaker off when I’m not there.  Cause was either lightning interference with remote or moisture that got in control box.
Long way up to bottom of swim platform. Pictures really don’t show how high she really was

You can see they quarantined the dock… 

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod
    Oh man, there are a lot of ways that could have ended worse than it did!  So the lift was still running when they got there in the morning?  Scary.  
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,461 admin
    Hey DI thank God everything turned out OK (sort of) as it could have been a lot worse and no one got hurt. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe not the right time but the boat looks great! Love the sun screens over the isinglass. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    In the last photo -- did the forward cross-beam get twisted a little?  
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    She sure is up high. Glad she is okay. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    captkevincaptkevin Member Posts: 213 ✭✭
    Very scary event. What caused it to raise?
    2004 232
    2021 Yamaha Fx svho
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. Definitely feel extremely fortunate.  A few years ago I’ve seen what can happen when the lift goes up and the cable snaps.  
    So, yes 3 of the 4 motors were still running in the morning with belts burned up.  And yes, front beam has a slight twist, but the pic makes it look worse cause the whole thing is turned there.
    As for what caused it? It was either lightning interfering with remote or a wet control box, which it was inside.
    @YYZRC thanks!  I do like the black protection over the boat. Keeps the UV out as well.

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow that is high! Glad everything ended up ok, sounds like you got pretty lucky. Agree I like those window covers, been wrestling with doing something like that.
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Doesn't the system have limit switches?  
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lucky your marina was watching out for you. I'd most would not have noticed. Your ready for a tsunami. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    LaRea said:
    Doesn't the system have limit switches?  
    No limit switches.  Some lifts have them installed and then people actually rely on them and walk away while there lift is going up.  My previous control box, you had to actually hold the button the entire time.  Some would think that is a pain, but I liked it.  My new one has a switch for manual or auto, so you don't have to hold the button (I'll still hold the button cause it makes me pay attention).  I also have a new remote that is better. 
    & yes, I'm very lucky the marina noticed.  Although I believe they had help from my buddy a couple boats down that has been staying on his boat mostly this summer (closer to work for him).  Cause he called me 2 minutes before the marina did.  Either way, we all try to look out for each other and I have cell numbers for half the boats on my dock.

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a winch installed in my transom locker for pulling up the dinghy when it was just me and my son out on the water.  It was remote controlled (wireless).  I was sitting at the dock one day and it started winding - I assume due to wireless interference.  Maybe that's what caused your situation @Dream_Inn ?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    I see your point about not having limit switches at the normal storage height.  But I'm surprised they don't have them at the "highest safe lift" position.  
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭
    Seems odd, I would think any lift apparatus would need to have an upper limit switch.

Sounds like a surge triggered the electronics. New unit needs to have an isolator on the feed circuit.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/