Options

Check Your Hot Water Heaters!

aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,838 ✭✭✭✭✭
When I was changing the oil yesterday in the engines I noticed some salt around the hose end where the raw water goes into the hot water heater. I wiped the salt and all of a sudden I had a decent leak. I wiggled the hose and the barb and hose broke off! Luckily I found this now then it blowing off while underway. There was enough of the pipe left so I was able to just reattach the hose. I will need to cut and create a flair to hold the hose and clamp secure. I do carry a straight union to join the hoses together if the heater ever failed on me out on the water.

2008 330EC

Comments

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting I always thought coolant ran through my water heater, not raw water. Is it always raw water?
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    @Liberty44140 , I’m raw water cooled so it might be different on you engine.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting I always thought coolant ran through my water heater, not raw water. Is it always raw water?
    More than likely it’s coolant on your boat since it gets attached at the circulation pump. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Ahh gotcha, thanks gang, makes sense 

• Options
    Can you replace that part or is it time for a new heater unit?

• Options
    It’s not replaceable but there’s enough pipe left on mine to be able to still use it. If it broke closer, a new heater would be needed.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod
    But you know you're living on borrowed time, right?  Corrosion happens in the entire pipe, not just the end.  
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    But you know you're living on borrowed time, right?  Corrosion happens in the entire pipe, not just the end.  
    Yes
    I’ve been looking at new heaters.
    Anyone have any reviews on the Kuuma units??
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭✭
    I bought the kuuma 2 years ago and no complaints.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a kuuma that I bought start of last season. It is leaking already at the same fitting. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine has only ever seen fresh water from the dock. Did not hook up the coolant from the engine to circulate because it's pretty much 80+ degrees everyday here.. the engine warms the tank even on "cool" days.. we don't have "cold" water in the keys, ever. Lol.. Even turning a regular house shower onto cold only is still a warm experience! 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod
    I installed a Kuuma two years ago.  It was shipped with a faulty thermostat, and they sent me a replacement at no cost.  Other than that, it has performed well.  
  • Options
    DanWDanW Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    I installed a kuuma two years ago and have no problems with it so far. 
    2002 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee
    1998 Regal 2100 LSR
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

J3ff said:
    Mine has only ever seen fresh water from the dock. Did not hook up the coolant from the engine to circulate because it's pretty much 80+ degrees everyday here.. the engine warms the tank even on "cool" days.. we don't have "cold" water in the keys, ever. Lol.. Even turning a regular house shower onto cold only is still a warm experience! 
    Your thick northern blood is doing the taking here.  Another few years down there and anything under high 80s may as well be glacial water. 

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ha ha, water temp was 78 today. Everyone else was talking about how cold it was. Couldn't believe it. Was perfect temp!!
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    78 is well below what I can swim in comfortably.   You'll get there lol

I've swam the reefs down there in June only to come home and the lake temps here are 5 degrees warmer here.  There's a reason Floridians don't vacation the Bahamas in the winter, just not warm enough.  
  • Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 880 ✭✭✭
    Our swimmable season is more like 65-75.