Options

Interesting Battery Buying Experience At Costco

TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
Have a four year old lead acid battery (LA) (size 24F) that's on it's last legs. Dropped by Costco to pick up a new one since they carry Interstate and usually have fresh batteries for the best price and warranty policy. They had tons of 24F LAs on the rack.

Went up to the counter to pay. The mechanic runs me through the system for checkout and says the 24F AGM is now required for my vehicle - a 2006 Honda Pilot. Can't sell me the LA. He can only sell me the LA without a warranty. And the kicker is 24F AGMs are on national backorder.

Not sure if this forced change is driven by Interstate or Costco. The LAs are $110, the AGMs are $180.

Also not sure how this could be "required" since AGMs were in their infancy 16 years ago - and the car has always had an LA under the hood.

Anyway, just be on the the lookout when you try to buy a new battery.

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    That is really odd.  I've bought batteries all the time and they never ask what vehicle it is for and I still have my warranty.  But making you get a certain type of battery, that makes absolutely no sense.  I have a street rod at home.  How would they give me a warranty for a 1937 ford pickup that is on a 1973 Chevy Blazer frame?  LOL!  Which, I believe I may be picking up a new battery for it at Sam's club this week.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @TonyG13.....hey Tony, see you and raise you one. I was one of the first guys on the forum to install AGMs in my Rinker and herald their existence. I went to purchase an AGM for my Enclave and the dealer told me it would void my warranty. How is that possible I asked - it's the same size and voltage? Reply , sorry we can't sell you one. I said see you - heading to Costco. Got a call five minutes later - we can sell you one. Got another one for you. have a Ford Mustang called the dealer to make an appointment to have the oil changed. Asked if they had the oil and filters in stock - as we all know what the supply chains are like. So I said you have Mobil Super Synthetic 0W-20 in stock. Dealer replied we can't put that in your car as  your manual calls for 5W-30 or 5W-20 (cold climate). Well, I said that's what I told you 6,000 kilometers ago when you wanted to put the 0W-20 in the Mustang but you said Ford is now putting 0W-20 in my Mustang. My reply - so what you guys are actually doing using whatever you have in stock?  Soooo Tony, these days my BS meter is ringing like a church bell on Sunday. Half the time it seems employees have no idea what they are talking about (unless they have gray hair or no hair) and the other half they just make $hit up!

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Looks like it's a Costco corporate decision to force AGMs on people.

If you go to the Interstate battery website and search for my vehicle I get three choices: one LA version, and two AGM versions.

If you go via the Costco website - which takes you to an Interstate sub-page - the search results only return one AGM version.

I think I'm going to give Costco a call to complain because the weird part is they carry the LA version. So why they would void the warranty is beyond me - unless they were losing money on warranty claims from LAs.
  • Options
    captkevincaptkevin Member Posts: 211 ✭✭
    Interesting topic. Getting ready to change battery in wife's car before winter and was debating agm or not. Most likely costco.
    2004 232
    2021 Yamaha Fx svho
  • Options
    Ian said:
    To be honest it is not their business to know what you are using it for.
    Only thing I can think of it's either a liability or returns issue.

Somebody buys the wrong size battery for the application and then returns it, costing them money - which could be the reason they ask what year/make/model car it's for, to make sure the fitment is correct.

Or somebody buys the wrong size battery and something goes drastically wrong (e.g., fire, etc.) and says Costco sold them the wrong thing. Just hypothesizing.
  • Options
    captkevin said:
    Interesting topic. Getting ready to change battery in wife's car before winter and was debating agm or not. Most likely costco.
    Interested to see if you have the same experience.
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭✭
    TonyG13 said:
    Ian said:
    To be honest it is not their business to know what you are using it for.
    Only thing I can think of it's either a liability or returns issue.

Somebody buys the wrong size battery for the application and then returns it, costing them money - which could be the reason they ask what year/make/model car it's for, to make sure the fitment is correct.

Or somebody buys the wrong size battery and something goes drastically wrong (e.g., fire, etc.) and says Costco sold them the wrong thing. Just hypothesizing.
    But who is to say its actually for a car? I buy a pack of AA cells; no one questions. I needed a new battery for the Harley last year, got a PWC one from WM - higher rating, more durable for the PWC environment and right size to fit in the minimal space provided. Never asked what make of PWC I had to see if it is compatible.

I want to buy a 12v battery, sell me the one I know I want and mind your own business. That BS has me walking out the store.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/