Options

Bilge pump automatic setting.

horthort Member Posts: 1
I have a 1995 rinker 180. Had it for 10 years. The bilge pump used to come on itself as needed, although I would turn it on manually too. 
More recently it has only come on when I turn it on. Today I changed out the bilge pump because it was broken. I tested the float switch with a conductivity test in a pot of water. It works as it should ie switch closes in a few inches of water. But I forget how to set the dashboard (helm) switch for automatic. The switch has only 2 settings that I can see. To the right the pump comes on manually. To the left the pump is off, or at least the float switch won't turn it on. So where is the setting for automatic? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.  

Comments

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe the pump is wired so that if the float switch is operating properly it will start independently of the switch. In other words, always on automatic if the battery is hooked up.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    You can check that the automatic works by engaging the float switch.  If the float switch does not activate the pump then wiring would be the suspect.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express