Options

Leak Source - 2014 310 EC

TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭
Any suggestions on how to track down a potential leak from under the forward berth steps. As seen in the photos there was wet carpet and darkened flooring - which I noticed after we arrived at our boat yard for the end of season. Carpet was damp, not wet. There is no way to visualize under the steps without taking them apart. The berth wall is solid to the steps and nothing wet there. The sink wall is also solid to the steps, and no leaks there.

So anybody ever take these steps apart - and how did you do it? And - any potential areas I should look at that would make water end up in that area?

Comments

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    I took my steps apart and there were screws buried in the carpet. Drag a screwdriver around until you hit them. It sucks. 

Where is your AC unit? That’s the first place I would check. Mine has the water line running to it under those steps that could leak or you could have a clogged pan drain. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 737 ✭✭✭
    In my case, it was the ice melt from the cockpit refrigerator which I forget to clean before taking the boat out of the water for bottom paint. 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    @YYZRC - I felt around for screws. I probably missed them. I did feel staples under the edge. AC is under the forward berth. As far as I can see my lines run behind the closet, but I may be wrong - and if it did spring a leak, I guess it could find it's way to that area.

@oscar1 - That's what my friend suggested. Another possibility for me to look at. My wife did empty the freezer shortly before, so it could be as simple as ice cubes that melted.

I did have a project in mind that requires the modification of those steps, so I think I will start fishing around for those screws and try to take it apart gently.
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 737 ✭✭✭
    If you have a dometic refrigerator the top section will make a thick layer of ice which the only way to remover it is doing a defrosting to the unit. 
  • Options
    So I looked for screws and could not find them, so I started to peel away the carpet and finally found screws AND staples.

The 4" stainless screws were a bear to get out. Best I can tell they carpeted each piece (wrapping it around the back) then put the two pieces together then dropped it in as a unit and then screwed it down.

Anyway, as you can see there was a lot of wetness and mold where the step meets the floor line and it seems to be under the flooring.

Thinking back, the galley sink was leaking earlier this year (from a broken drain) - and wondering if that water found it's way under the floor.

The only way to visualize under the sink area is to take out the fridge, which I plan to do next. Is it just a matter of removing the six (6) screws on the face frame and sliding it out - or do I need to watch for anything else?
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    just don't screw with the flux capacitor~! 
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And next topic - what do you replace the carpet with?!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, fridge should be as easy as pulling those front facing screws and sliding it out. Make sure to put a towel or something down as it has sharp edges that will scratch your floor. I've had half a dozen boat fridges/ice maker and all of them were that simple to un screw and slide out. Good luck. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    edited October 2022
    YYZRC said:
    And next topic - what do you replace the carpet with?!
    I feel likes it's a pretty common pile and color, so hopefully I can find something that's a close match, or I can steal a patch from the aft berth since that's covered by the mattress.

I also have a plan up my sleeve to make some new storage in that area. So once I come up with a rendering I'll run it by the group to see what you all think.
    Post edited by TonyG13 on