Relocate battery 260EC

I recently replaced my house battery with a deep cycle. Both batteries are on the port side in the bilge. Since then, the boat lists to the port side. I was thinking of moving the house battery to the starboard side using an extension post set. I have the space. Anyone else do the same?

Comments

• YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would replace the cable. Not too expensive to do so and it will be perfect. Also, the Rinker wiring is a mess to begin with; good opportunity to clean it up. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • drbeepdrbeep Member Posts: 34
    YYZRC said:
    I would replace the cable. Not too expensive to do so and it will be perfect. Also, the Rinker wiring is a mess to begin with; good opportunity to clean it up. 
    Does the cable go from the battery and land on the switch or is there a different landing location?
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Positive cable should run from the battery to the house battery switch.  Negative should run from the battery to either the negative bus or to the engine block.

You'll also have to extend the wiring from your charger and isolator.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I added a second house battery to my 280 and I mounted it on the starboard side. It helped some with the slight list to port. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    drbeep said:
    I recently replaced my house battery with a deep cycle. Both batteries are on the port side in the bilge. Since then, the boat lists to the port side. I was thinking of moving the house battery to the starboard side using an extension post set. I have the space. Anyone else do the same?
    I never did this on my 260EC, but I always thought it would be a better place, especially given the water tank is on the port side too, and the waste tank which is normally empty on the starboard.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"