Battery charger switch

I plan on periodically plugging in to shore power. Can I leave the battery charger switch on without it discharging my batteries when not plugged in? This would be a great convenience to not have to undo the covers to crawl inside.
Thanks

Comments

• PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    During the season I always stay on battery 1.  I charge the night before launch for the weekend 

The only time I turn of the battery selector is during the winter from October to about May. I charge once a month to keep batteries topped off.

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @PickleRick , I think he’s looking to leave the charger breaker on but turn it “on and off” by plugging in and unplugging shore power without having to climb in and turn the breaker on or off.

2008 330EC
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @toolmaker312 do you have a breaker to turn your shore power on and off wherever your boat is stored? You might trip the breaker if you’re plugging in a hot cord but if you can plug in shore power then turn it on you should be fine. Having the breaker on in the boat and you batteries hooked up shouldn’t be an issue.
    2008 330EC
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer:  yes, leave it on.  It will not discharge your batteries.  The boat might have other parasitic loads that will draw down the battery, but the charger won't affect anything.

Ideally, when you plug the power cord into the shore power socket, the power should be turned off.  Otherwise, arcing will damage the plug and/or socket (eventually, after many times plugging and unplugging).
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    And plug in boat end first, then shore end. That way the cord is never live if you accidentally drop the end in the water when attaching to boat.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• toolmaker312toolmaker312 Member Posts: 96
    Thanks all.Yes aero I would like to leave main shore power breaker and battery breaker on inside the boat and just plug in once in a while since the closest outlet crosses the parking lot. Thanks LaRea  I will try leaving it on and use the outlet side to plug in last since it is a replaceable adapter
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    @PickleRick , I think he’s looking to leave the charger breaker on but turn it “on and off” by plugging in and unplugging shore power without having to climb in and turn the breaker on or off.

I get what he's asking now. I haven't turned off my charger breaker since I purchased my boat. 

I try not to crawl into the boat during the winter, makes me wish boating season got here quicker.