Options

Battery Charger Model PD 2020 in Rinker 250 Fiesta Vee

Peter13Peter13 Member Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hello everyone, first of all I wish you all the best for the new year 2023 and I'm annoying you again with a question.
I permanently installed the Charger Marine Electronic PD2020. Unfortunately, I can't find any information as to whether the charger can also charge AGM / EFB batteries with the IU0U charging curve. Does anyone happen to know? I installed two EFB batteries with 105 AH.
Which batteries do you use in connection with the charger and how long can you be without electricity? I am without electricity for a maximum of one day and night and have to rely on my batteries to supply the refrigerator and water pump. Many thanks in advance!!!
Best Regards from Cologne send´s Peter .

Comments

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The PD2020 is pretty old technology and it seems as though most members here have replaced them.  The PD2020 manual can be found here:

https://www.progressivedyn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/PD2000MarineManual.pdf

PROPER OPERATION When properly installed and connected, the INTELI-POWER MARINE converter/charger will monitor the battery condition then automatically select one of it’s three operating modes to provide the correct charging level.

NORMAL MODE: In the normal mode the output voltage is set at 13.6 volts DC. This voltage provides good charging rates and low water usage.

BOOST MODE: If the INTELI-POWER MARINE converter/charger senses the battery voltage has dropped below a preset level, the system automatically switches into the Boost Mode. In this mode the charge voltage is increased to 14.4 volts for a period of approximately 4 hours.

TRICKLE MODE: When the INTELI-POWER MARINE converter/charger senses that there has been no significant battery usage for a period of approximately 30 hours the charge voltage is automatically reduced to 13.2 volts DC for minimal water usage until the unit senses usage of the electrical system.

EQUALIZATION MODE: When the charger is in the Storage Mode, the microprocessor automatically equalizes the battery by increasing the charging voltage to 14.4 volts for 15 minutes every 21 hours. This causes the battery to gas for a short time and re-mixes the electrolyte to prevent the buildup of sulfation on the battery plates.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    If it helps, I have that charger on my bow thruster battery and it is charging an AGM battery without any issues.  It has been in that setup since 2008 without any issues.  My other batteries I have on much newer charger (ProNautic).

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Hello YYZRC & Dream_Inn ,

Thank you for your information. Yes, I had read this charging mode from the PD2020 and thought it was completely okay, even if it is a bit older. I have a new charger here, but I don't think that exchanging it for the PD2020 is really an advantage. It would then be a Mastervolt Easycharge 10 A.

It's also not quite clear to me how to connect it, since here in Germany I had to install a step up & down transformer to go from 110 volts to 230 volts. I think I'd better get a professional to help me, especially with electricity. This can become uncomfortable and is not without risk.

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Most of us switched to ProMariner ProNautic chargers. I think it would be worth the relatively small cost (in boat expense terms) to get a proper 220v charger. 

Not sure if you are running two battery banks, but this is an interesting read if you are:
    https://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=236
    Post edited by YYZRC on
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    TickledPinkTickledPink Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    The PD2020 should only be used with lead acid batteries. The much newer PD9245C is also a charger/converter and can be used with AGM batteries as well as other types.
    I've done a lot of research on this as I'm in the same boat, so to speak. I have a FV 250 imported to England. It has the original PD2020 with an added transformer to change the voltage from 110 to 240.
    The only thing I'm not sure about is how many batteries you can have. As it stands, I have one starter battery that is lead acid and one leisure battery, also lead acid. I want to change to 2 or 3 AGM leisure batteries with much higher amp hours and lifespan (cycles) and keep the lead acid starter battery.
    It makes more sense to me to change the charger/converter to a newer charger/converter from the same manufacturer, rather than fitting a separate charger and converter/inverter.
    I hope all that makes sense.
  • Options
    Thank‘s TickledPink 
  • Options
    TickledPinkTickledPink Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    OK so I've been told that battery types can't be mixed even if the battery charger charges the different types. So I will be changing to all AGM.
  • Options

Hello everyone,

I have another question about the removal / conversion of the old PD2020 charger. Unfortunately, I can't see how the cables run because they are hidden in a tube. I also have a black block next to the charger where some cables go, is that a battery separator diode?

I had imagined everything to be quite simple and wanted to replace it with Plug&Play, but that's too dangerous for me because it's a bit more complicated. Does anyone have a tip on how to proceed? Or should I better hire someone because it's too extensive?

Thanks very much !

• Options
    johnny44johnny44 Confirm Email, Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    I am planning on replacing both of my battery chargers on my 350 EC this spring. The engine bay is a PD2040 and the thruster/windlass charger under the berth is a PD2020. I read up on many (many) threads on this recommending the Pronautic model for easy replacement. Sticker shock got me a little bit when researching the prices. 

Then I happened to come across Sterling ProCharge Ultra. It is the exact same model as the Pronautic (same case, engineering, company, etc.), just a different badging. And (more importantly) it is cheaper!  Links are below (one describing the difference between the two and the other for the Sterling website).  Has anyone researched or installed the Sterling model?  Curious for any feedback.

https://www.sterling-power-usa.com/sterlingpowerprochargeultra12volt40amp-marine-battery-charger.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5tzBzce94w

2008 350 EC -- Greenwich Bay, Rhode Island