Options

Helm illumination

Has anyone ever had their helm lights for dials and EVC not work? I have checked the fuses but all ok

Comments

• Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    In general for Rinker, helm lights (i.e., switches, etc.) only illuminate when the anchor/nav light switch is in the "on" position.

That is one of my projects - to separate dash/helm illumination from the anc/nav switch and put it on an unused accessory switch so I can have them lit while sitting at the dock without having to have the anchor light on.  
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    It’s possible that your dimmer module is bad. I think I read that if the dimmer goes bad the lights will not work as well (I could be wrong). It’s easy to replace, it’s behind the dash.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    edited February 2023
    As @aero3113 said, the dimmer module is the most likely culprit.  It's probably loose or disconnected.  Mine fell off, and I had to retrieve it from the depths beneath the helm station.

EDIT: Behind the row of rocker switches, the wiring is all zip-tied in a bundle.  The dimmer module should be zip-tied to that bundle.  If you only see a white 4-pin connector, it means the dimmer module fell off.
    Post edited by LaRea on
  • Options
    walkermarwalkermar Member Posts: 48
    Thanks all, this forum is unbelievable . I replaced the solenoid for the windlass recently on the helm so will check if this is the culprit. Cheers guys 
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    I may have to look into this also.  I always thought the dimmer switch was just there for looks.  Kind of like trying to press the elevator button a bunch of times to make it speed up.  My switch lights work but the dimmer doesn't do anything.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @davidbrooks are your switch bodies new or original? I assume that the dimmer would only work on older switches with incandescent indicator lights. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    @davidbrooks, here's what should happen:
    Press and hold up, switch lights get brighter.
    Press and hold down, switch lights get dimmer.
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    And on mine the dimmer only works - for the entire panel - when the nav/anchor switch is "on"
  • Options
    Right ... the only time you "need" panel lights is when you are underway at night (nav lights on).  If you want them on at anchor, that's a mod. 
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    @YYZRC they are replacement bodies from a few years ago.  I am pretty sure they are incandescent though. @LaRea ohhhh so that is how a switch works....  Sorry i had to.  I sat here for about 5 min trying to think up an appropriate smarta@@ remark that wouldn't be flagged.  I don't do a whole lot of night boating but my switches are pretty dim.  It is the two MFD's on the dash that can cause a problem with night vision if not in the right mode. 45 days till Spring fellas.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!