Options

Learning the hard way

I was so happy when I picked up my 2003 Rinker Fiesta Vee 250 and brought it home last Sunday. However, a steep learning curve has occurred since.
Yesterday we decided to unpack the new inflatable tender and new 4hp outboard to get everything over to the boat. Should be quick enough, we thought!
Perish that thought. As first time boaters, it took us three, plus another boater who happened to be around, to work out where to put the engine oil and gear oil. Once that was done, we filled up the petrol tank and spent the next hour trying to start it with no luck, so we gave up and rowed to the boat.
Whilst my husband continued to try to start the outboard, I pushed the switch for the blower on the Rinker only to find that the batteries were dead. I phoned the dealer who asked if we'd turned off the batteries. Huh? How do I do that? Oh sorry, he said, I forgot to tell you! He advised us to put the batteries on charge. OK, I said, but how do I open the engine hatch with dead batteries? I don't know, he said.
By now, we had an audience. And with the help of said audience, we managed to get the outboard running.
My dad and our dog were still ashore waiting to be picked up and two hours had passed. Time to go home for a rethink.
This morning, we returned to the boat. The outboard started, the three of us, our dog and a battery booster/charger made it across to the boat and we got the engine hatch open. So far so good.
The audience was bigger today and between us all, we got the batteries out and a fellow boater took them to his boat to put them on charge. I managed to put all of our bits and bobs away and our dog made friends with two other dogs, one of which taught her to pee on the pontoon.
Tomorrow we will go back and put the (hopefully charged) batteries back into the Rinker. And maybe (just maybe) we might get out for a trip. Fingers crossed.
Despite all of the teething problems, we have learnt a **** of a lot and made some great friends.
Just thought I'd share that with you all.

Comments

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Don’t worry we’ve all had those first weekends that were supposed to be perfect and we’re the opposite and trust me, 5 or 10 years from now when you are avid boaters you will still
    have them. Boating has a lot of unbelievably awesome days, but you don’t get them without a few bad ones. Congrats on getting your first weekend behind you, have a drink, toast your new hobby and know better days are coming.

Regarding the batteries, after re charge keep an eye on them. Given how dead they were it’s unlikely they can still be relied upon. If you anchor a lot you will be taking a risk continuing to use those batteries. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These Story's are just beginning on your new adventure. There is a lot to learn. Don't be afraid to ask questions.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    here is some good reading and tips for new boaters. 
    https://www.worldwideboat.com/knowledgebase/boating-101-beginners-guide
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to boating where the you’ll likely learn something new every day! Boating is an adventure in many ways with good times and “oh crap” ones. Sad that the dealer didn’t do the right thing and give you some basic “need to know”.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys have bit off a lot- but also sounds like you have the determination to figure it out and have fun while your doing it. The definition of a boater I'd think. Hang in there, figure it out and have fun!
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even experienced boaters have those days, they usually come in pairs. 

You can buy a small tablet sized jumper box for less than 100 bucks on Amazon or eBay, get one and keep it on the boat.  It's a life saver when you have a dead battery out on the water.  

• Options
    They work well...I have cranked v8 engines that had not started for a couple of years...get the right one however...
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    X3 they are a life saver. We've had to use with our little boat way up a river to get home. Just yesterday my neighbor had a dead battery and no way to get another car in to her garage to jump. Jump box to the rescue!!! Great $60 investment.
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    They are cheap insurance...