Options

Toilet and AC seacocks

My first week of owning a FV 250 has been trying to say the least. 
My latest issue is that the carpet in the cabin outside the toilet has become soaking wet. I checked the little compartment under the stairs and it's bone dry in there. 
It's been suggested that the toilet and AC seacocks are always closed except when actually using the toilet and AC. Firstly, can anyone tell me where they are? Secondly, isn't it a bit of a pain to keep opening the toilet seacocks every time you need a pee?
Another suggestion was to check that the anchor compartment isn't full of water. Can anyone tell me how to access/check this please?
One thing is that I'm learning a lot and hopefully by the summer I'll be much less stressed.

Comments

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Seacocks do not need to be closed. 

Have you been running the AC? If so, have you checked to make sure the condensation pan drain is not clogged?

Have you used the shower? Often the shower sump will fail and overflow.

What has the weather been like where you are? Rinkers are known for water intrusion at the windshield screws and/or around portlights. 

Access to the anchor locker is usually found behind the mirror/panel in the vee berth. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    I agree you should not need to continuously open/close seacocks.  You should have a toilet & AC one under your rear berth area. 
    Not sure I've said it yet, welcome to the forum! Glad to see you've been on here asking lots of good questions.  We have lots of great people here that enjoy helping.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Rich_Rich_ Member Posts: 138 ✭✭
    While there is normally no need to open and close them with each use of the boat (unless winterizing in the water), it is a good idea to exercise them at minimum once or twice a year just to make sure they turn.
    2002 180      Eastern LI, NY
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leaks are crazy to track down. Does not sound like you have had the boat long and tracking this time could take some time. Do you keep the boat covered? Have you been getting a lot of rain? That compartment ,on a 270, has a bilge pump and the thru hulls for the a/c and toilet. There is also a filter for the a/c  right there and the clear cover is know to Crack and leak- and the compartment can look "dry":while a little trickle can be running down the side and you don't see it.  Have you been using the shower? What about your galley sink? Any sign of water damage in the bottom of that cabinet? The suggestions for the screws has been thrown out there many times around the windows- can't hurt anything to reseal anything you can get to.
    I have had our boat for like 8 years now and just recently found the culprit. I would occasionally have a leak dripping through the ceiling panel of the midship berth. It would not leak with the mooring cover or camper pck up. I would put baby powder around suspect areas and hit with s hose and hit certain areas...got up under the captains chair and under the sink behind it with flex glue sealing everything I could...still leaked. Then, recently was washing the boat and I had all the seats pulled. Next to my helm there is a bench seat and then it curves. The seat base at that curve is a dry storage- I noticed after it got a lot of water in it and I was cleaning it out- I was going to grab the wet vacuum to suck it out- but the water was gone!. I cleaned s little better and discovered the previous owner had drilled holes in each corner- only problem there was no where for the water to go. It ruined the wood in that ceiling panel and it also ran into the bilge over top of the generator so now the cover and control box are all rusting out. Look for signs if damage and follow the trail. If you find a suspect area if you can put water in a bucket with food coloring to confirm....good luck and keep at it!
  • Options
    TickledPinkTickledPink Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    Thanks everyone. 
    I've only had the boat for just over a week and as yet have not used the kitchenette sink or the shower. I' have used the toilet and bathroom sink.
    I wasn't sure how to use the manual flush though. There's a left/right switch and an up/down handle (not used one before).
    We've not had rain for a few weeks, it's been sunny but cold (I'm on the Isle of Wight) so no water has come in via the windscreen.
    When I picked up the boat, it took 3.5 hours in choppy waters to get home. Could water have got in where the anchor is?
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is actually a good base to start. You have a leak, have wet carpet and no rain. Sounds like something from the interior as an issue. You have not turned on any water so you don't have a leak in the shower drain system or the shower "tub" itself....so where else? Is it in the water at a slip or stored on a trailer? Have you run the a/c? All your water supply piping is under pressure just like your house so I would really start inspecting those fittings...I don't think any piping would be under the floor but someone else can confirm...as far as the anchor locker, maybe? I'd think you would have a trail of water....but water travels very weird...if yours is like mine the bottom of the anchor locker is lower than the floor...at least at rest. My locker accesses through the mirror in the front that is velcroed with a super velcro- thought I was going to break it- it is plastic. Choppy water can put water anywhere on the boat and if it was really ruff maybe something was open that should not have?
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Since you’re not 100% sure where it’s coming from or if it residual that was in the boat and moved back while underway, I would vacuum out and monitor. You might not have a leak at all… It could’ve come in while underway through the port lights and dripped along the hull to the floor.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    Since you’re not 100% sure where it’s coming from or if it residual that was in the boat and moved back while underway, I would vacuum out and monitor. You might not have a leak at all… It could’ve come in while underway through the port lights and dripped along the hull to the floor.
    Agreed.  Dry it out and see if you get more water intrusion after your next boat ride.  If so, dry it out again and try your next ride with the seacocks closed (when underway, water pressure develops in the tubing and could be leaking).  If you still have water intrusion, check the portlights.

Ras makes a good point as well.  Have you been using the freshwater tank and pump or did you connect a hose to your boat for freshwater?  I always turn the freshwater pump off when underway just in case.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 270 used to get wet there. It was the screws around the bottom of the windshield leaking, water following the headliner and then leaking in.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Good idea to dry and monitor. I'll do that.
    I haven't filled the water tank or pumped out yet. Literally all I've done is brought it from Weymouth to Cowes. I went back to the boat a week later and about an hour later noticed the wet floor.
  • Options
    Quick update.
    The carpet dried out and it's stayed dry. There are no leaks from windows, ac, anchor compartment etc. so whilst I'm glad it's remained dry, it's a mystery how it became wet before.
    I've filled the water tank and the loo has been used but I've not used the ac yet. 
    Thanks for all your help 🙂