Options

Actually generator

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have the Kohler 5e generator..really have not had much problem with it but lack of use may have caught up to me...so on a recent outing, fired it up but did not seem to be moving water so I shut it down assuming either the impeller went or the coupler, which I had to replace shortly after we bought the boat several years ago....I pulled the pump off and the impeller looks intact. I don't see that orange coupler behind the pump?  There is another cover behind the pump, behind that? I did bump the starter and the shaft is turning which if the coupler is toasted the shaft would not turn correct?

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    The entire pump housing has to come off to get to the coupler and it’s easier to remove with the plate behind removed ( if yours is the same as the 5ECD). But if the shaft is moving, the coupler is probably still good. If you never replaced it, you should. Sorry my pics aren’t in order! Your impeller can still look good but be soft and not hold its shape. Look at the difference between the two when I replaced mine. 

2008 330EC
  • Options
    Also, I had the brass bushing that’s in the impeller center disbond once if I remember, could’ve dreamt that though 😂.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep aero said it right, I had the same issue first time I went to change coupler on 5e. Keep pulling and you’ll find it under the pump. New ones are yellow but I’ve seen older couplers on the 5e be black. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    edited February 2023
    I see a kit on ebay for 45 bucks that has the coupler, new impeller,anode (mine was just shy of gone when we first bought) and a seal...there is another seal you pull off the drive shaft..don't see much mention of replacing that. Will order that kit and assume the impeller is bad, due for a change anyway..thx
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good call!
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    I'm going to put the pump back together and run it on my fake lake and double check- I took off that seal on the drive shaft under the pump- I notice one side is groved, the other is not...does it matter which way it goes? Can't tell looking at the pump

• Options
    Rich_Rich_ Member Posts: 138 ✭✭
    put a dab of boat or dish soap on the impeller vanes as lubricant when reinstalling.
    2002 180      Eastern LI, NY
  • Options
    I did not pulling impeller out...I'm talking about the seal between the pump body and the rest of it...has a spring in it...
  • Options
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Yes...one side has a groove, the other has a protrusion?I'll take a picture tomorrow ...