Is it hinting or normal?

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2023 in Generator Discussions
I am testing my genny on my fake lake at the house. I want to go ahead and service it- not many hours on it .just sitting.

I'm going to do:
Impeller and coupler- also this time I was thinking about that seal behind the pump: not sure how to get the mating part off. If that starts leaking back into the genny, we'll can't be good and it would be hard to notice. Anyone tried this one?
Fuel water separator
Fuel line filter
Plugs
Check anode
Oil and filter
I often try to run it a little when I'm out. Running at home with no load it seems to have more surge to it than what I recaĺl...perhaps after the above is done or just letting it run longer it might smooth out or do they run this way?

Comments

• YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have done all of these on my 5ecd except the fuel/water separator (mine did not have one) and whatever the “seal behind the pump” is. 

Hardest was the fuel filter due to the location. It sucked. 

Make sure you get the right oil. I had a hard time finding straight 30 weight up here but maybe easier south of the border. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was able to get Kohler 30 weight on eBay, I bought a bunch of quarts so I have enough for a few oil changes. And yes, depending on where your generator is located, the fuel filter can be tough. 
    2008 330EC
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    Go to your local lawnmower shop,  Briggs and Stratton as well as Kohler (except Kohler command engines) run 30wt.  The Kawasaki brand has added zinc and is exceptional if you can find it. 

The oil has to be HD, high detergent.  

I sell it for 8.99 a quart.
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine is the plug against the bulkhead.  Everything else is right there.  If I ever need to pull it, looks like the motor comes out first...