Options

Trim up sender

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2023 in Electrical Discussions
After getting my trim pump functioning properly now moving on the the trim indicator and the limit switch. I had recently installed both this and the limit sender as the transom was apart. I think the trim sender was working for a bit but stopped...anyway, found this really good section of what appears to me a mercury chapter dedicated to the whole trim system...probably can't post...anyway, gives me an ohms test through the disconnected leads in the bay..which it fails. New sender, not smiling.. It mentioned one other test I had not done and by myself would be hard- disconect the puck and try the test again. If the reading now reads fine, grease the hinge pin in bell housing...could not do that so I marked it down and then raised it- the pin is traveling with the out drive and not turning the trim sender! That is 145 ft pounds, how can the OD break it loose and turn it? Ordering the tool...don't get that one..u

Comments

• Options
    earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Oddly enough I just replaced my bellhousing on my bravo 3 2 weeks ago. Had the sensors replaced last year. They worked for about a week and then would come and go. Turns out the bell housing where the pins went in were stripped out. They would grab on occasion but not reliably. The bellhousing replacement fixed the issue.
    If this is your issue you may want to look at sending yours out to www.jrmarine.com here in Ohio. They do a rebuild for $275 as opposed to a replacement at about $1k from Mercury
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Ah...the gear is turning with the belhousing...the sender is fixed to the gimbal so it is turning the wheel correctly. So I'm testing wrong for ohms or the  issue further up the wiring..will look at both being the posibility!