Options

How many times have you been boarded by the USCG?

LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,540 mod
On a different boating forum, there's a discussion about getting boarded by the US Coast Guard.  The USCG routinely boards all types of vessels (including pleasure boats) to conduct safety & compliance checks.  It's a rare event:  I've been boarded only once in 1800 underway hours over 25 years.  

So, how many times have you been boarded, if ever?  What did you think of the experience?

The one time I was boarded, the crew was efficient and professional.  Asked whether I had weapons, checked the engine room and a few other things, and noted that I had a current sticker for Vessel Safety Check.  Gave me a "Gold Sheet" (boarding certificate) and said good day.

Comments

• Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭
    I've been boarded about once ever two seasons. I do get a Vessel Safety Check every year (with sticker placed on the port windshield) and I have noticed when the Coasties circle around and see it they would proceed to another boat without a sticker.
  • Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    Been boating 36 years in the St. Lawrence River.  Been boarded twice.  As @LaRea says, very professional and efficient.

1st time it was spring launch day for me, piloting my boat 10 miles upriver from storage to my marina.  Back then I used to empty the boat pretty well in the fall, including taking flares home over winter.  For the short trip, I neglected to put them back in the boat.  CG obviously picked up on it. With my explanation, they wrote me a ticket, but said to take a picture of the flares (from my car), email them, and they’d tear it up.

The 2nd boarding, (fall) they complimented me on such a clean bilge.  That was pretty neat.
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We do not have USCG on our local waters as they are policed by the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources...game wardens.

I accidentally yanked the halyard for my main sail out of the mast on our 26 footer.  I anchored by a bridge and went up top on the bridge to try to reach the masthead.   Apparently the DNR got phone calls that a sailboat had hit the bridge.  A DNR agent arrived via boat and asked what I was doing, after a brief explanation he asked that I hurry as he was tried of the calls.  Once I finished and headed back to my mooring he stopped me because my numbers were expired.  Even before covid it took 8 to 10 weeks for new numbers/stickers to arrive after a change of ownership.   I gave him my paperwork and he sent me off.  The very next weekend the same dnr agent was going boat to boat checking for life jackets.  He was approaching my boat when he noticed I had a stuck anchor, I was bouncing pretty **** the bow to try to get unstuck.  He quicky shifted course and left the cove.   I don't think he wanted anything to do with pulling a 22 lbs anchor by hand.  

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been boarded twice by USCG, agree efficient and reasonable. 1-2 times more by OH Dept. Nat Resources, same efficient and reasonable. 3-4 times by local police/Sherriff and that is where you get the goofballs. I had the Sandusky, oh Sherriff board me on my center console several years ago and he asked to see in my cooler. No problem. He yanks out a Non-Alcoholic beer and makes fun of it. I say "Um.....sober skipper, right officer?"... he turned red and put it away and wrapped things up quick! 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Been boarded twice by USCG, agree efficient and reasonable. 1-2 times more by OH Dept. Nat Resources, same efficient and reasonable. 3-4 times by local police/Sherriff and that is where you get the goofballs. I had the Sandusky, oh Sherriff board me on my center console several years ago and he asked to see in my cooler. No problem. He yanks out a Non-Alcoholic beer and makes fun of it. I say "Um.....sober skipper, right officer?"... he turned red and put it away and wrapped things up quick! 
    I ordered one of the hefeweizen drafts at a mellow mushroom.  I had never heard of it before and it was amazing.  I only had one because I was driving.   Googled the beer as we were getting the check so I could remember the name to look for it again.  Found it was non alcoholic.  I was really disappointed, not because it was non alcoholic but because I could have had more, way more.    I never had a non alcoholic beer before, that's now my go to of it's on draft rotation 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We don't have uscg in our river this far south on the river. Local sheriff's pulled me over one time after leaving a popular party spot with the excuse of safety but they were looking for drunks. Hey, we are free in florida.  If you don't want safety equipment that's your choice.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never been boarded by the USCG, but I have seen them board many other boats. If I was out and see them boarding boats, I would motor in the opposite side of the river to avoid them. Not sure why I would do that, I have nothing to hide, but my anxiety would get the best of me so I did anything to avoid them. I was pulled over twice by the PA Fish Commission. One for going just over no wake speed in a no wake zone (it was my very first time out by myself on my father's new boat). The second time I had someone sitting on the sun pad on my 232, while on plane, but their legs were on the seat back. I got a ticket for the no wake zone, but got a warning for the sitting on the sun pad. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Got boarded 1 time.  Was out in 3-4 footers trying to get back home and coast guard followed us in and did a safety check.   Gave them what they needed and it was over.  No big deal
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 927 ✭✭✭✭
    Only twice in my lifetime on Lake Powell.  I'm pretty sure both of them were more of a sobriety check, then a safety check.  Passed both with flying colors  B)
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,556 mod
    I got boarded one time many years ago when the kids were little.  It was early April heading into Annapolis.  I went a little fast thru the anchorage area into Annapolis.  There weren't any boats around, so I forgot it was an anchorage area.  They were nice and professional and very happy that both kids were in life jackets.  They asked if they could do an inspection, which I had no problem with.  I had the inspection sticker as well, so knew things should be good.  All was good.  Whenever I see them patrolling waters and come near while I'm anchored, I always thank them for being out on the water.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    NeatseaNeatsea Member Posts: 6
    I've been boarded 3 times. Each time they were professional, polite and friendly. They are doing their job and are welcome on my boat anytime as long as I'm not sleeping or.........I try to get my inspection at my marina each year.