Options

Replacement trim cylinders

2»

Comments

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    I keep calling these compression fittings....I'm an idiot.   They are flare fittings. 

Don't use any Teflon tape as the mating surface is what seals the two surfaces.  Teflon tape could make the leak worse. 

When I've had issues in the past with them leaking I've pulled them apart to ensure there's no debris or paint in the hole that could cause the two parts not to seal.   If it's clean, add a little ATF and retorque.   Sometimes lossening and then relighting a few times will help work out any imperfections and allow the two parts to seal.  

There's another trick, one that I'm not a huge fan of but is a last ditch effort.  At the hardware store there are little brass or stainless tapered washers.  These are commonly used with tapered head screws on our boats.  The brass or stainless washer is pretty soft. You can get a few sizes and find one that closest fits the hole. You'll likely have to trim down the outside diameter of the washer to make it a perfect fit. The taper fits the shape of the flare fitting like a glove if sized right.  If acts almost like a sealing washer.

The reason I don't like this is because this washer takes up space and you now have less threads to hold your connection together, making it easier to over torque and damage the threads.

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will look that over..have taken apart, blown it out...
  • Options
    mbnarneymbnarney Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
    Dang, what a clever idea. Might try it on a steering leak I have on my vette.
  • Options
    mbnarney said:
    Dang, what a clever idea. Might try it on a steering leak I have on my vette.
    I hope it takes care of your issue. 

I can't take credit for the original idea of this, was passed onto me from an old school auto mechanic I shared a shop with long ago 
  • Options
    So that makes you an old school mechanic from a long time ago- JK. 
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    So that makes you an old school mechanic from a long time ago- JK. 
    Sadly I can now sing along with a pirate looks at 40 and not change the words to under 40.
  • Options
    Had the boat home in anticipation of going out today- beautiful here today in Central Florida...looked at a leaking trim line and did tape it which seemed st stop it - but still leaking from somewhere. Good amount. So, there goes the day. I pulled it off and I can't swear- the one line is a straight shot , the other has two 90's and then shoots to the back. There is a metal plate that covers both 90's and two small bolts- maybe 3/8 long to hold the line in place. On the cylinder, the holes/threads go dang near through the whole cylinder.  I wonder if it has cracked...
  • Options
    So update, I ordered another cylinder, put it on in about 15 minutes..barely snugged the lines and no leak. I'm going to send the other back and ask for a refund.  We will see if that happens..
  • Options
    Awesome!   Just in time to do some winter Florida bass fishing 
  • Options
    I have kids that need to be on the water. Heck for the most part, I figure they think it's an RV I bring home sometimes...we'll plan a new year's cruise- it might sprinkle on Christmas and be 70 degrees....Brrrrrrrr