Options

No speed and hard steering

We managed to get out on our FV 250 today. Spring has arrived 🙂
Doing the maximum 6 knots along the river to Cowes Harbour was fine. The tide was going out and was nicely carrying us.
But (there's always a but), once out in the sea, despite accelerating, I couldn't get the speed above 10 knots and the steering was really hard, continuously trying to steer to starboard so I was fighting to keep it going in a straight line. I tried the trim tabs all the way down, all the way up, and various places between. 
When accelerating, the bow was up high and the swim platform was under the water. The engine noise changed with acceleration, but the speed stayed the same at 10 knots.
What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭
    Is the drive all the way down 
  • Options
    TickledPinkTickledPink Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    I held the drive trim down and I could hear the motor working but I couldn't tell if it was right down. Does it stop when it's fully down? 
  • Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 868 ✭✭✭
    Motor does not stop running but the sound changes, visually check the drive position with engine off. Check your power steering reservoir for fluid and the belt is tight.
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    Do you keep the boat in the water or did you launch it from land? If in water and not bottom painted could be growth on the hull?
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What were your RPMs at full throttle?

Drive should be all the way down and tabs all the way down when launching for quickest time to plane. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    @TonyG13 the boat stays in the water and is copper coated. It was out of the water in December and completely clean.
  • Options
    @YYZRC I was so caught up with what could be wrong that I didn't check the revs. I'll do that next time!
  • Options
    I manage to get out on the boat again today. I couldn't get faster than 7 to 8 knots. Revs at that speed were 3750 and the throttle was 3 quarters forward. If I pushed it flat out, neither speed or revs increased.
    The trim dial showed trim right the whole time.
    Pressing the drive trim button up and down, I could hear the motor and could see it affecting the bow up and down so that appears to be working.
    Pressing the trim tabs up and down, I couldn't hear a motor and whether the lights on the trim tabs control showed them as right up or right down, it made no difference to the boat performance, so I'm guessing that neither trim tabs work at all.
    I'm going to have to get it looked at. 
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    You should still be able to get on plane without using the trim tabs, but not at 8 knots! 

Did you still have the hard steering issue? Did you check to ensure your power steering fluid level is ok?
    Post edited by YYZRC on
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    3750 RPM and only 8 kts? Maybe your drive is trashed and slipping? 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Spun hub? Had that on my prior Bayliner and to a point increased RPM did nothing.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ian said:
    Spun hub? Had that on my prior Bayliner and to a point increased RPM did nothing.
    I had the same on my 242, @TickledPink if you have an alpha 1 drive (not sure if Volvo props have hubs) that can be your issue.The only thing is that in your first post you said your bow was up high and you swim platform was in the water. I don’t think a spun hub would be able to push that hard.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I had some line stuck around my prop once on my 242 and it did what you’re experiencing….
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Thanks. I'm going to brave getting in the water (it's only 11°C) to check the prop. 
    It's a Mercruiser 5L with duo prop stern drive. The pic is from January. Its been in the water all winter.
  • Options
    You should be able to lay on the platform and with the drive all the way up feel around the props.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Ahhh ok, thanks @aero3113, I'll do that.
  • Options
    @YYZRC the steering wasn't hard this time. I checked the power steering fluid and it was fine. It was quite choppy last time so maybe that, with the slow speed, was the reason for the hard steering. I don't know.
  • Options
    If it's a Merc engine with two props (Bravo 3) there is no hub to spin. You could have an issue with your coupler, though.
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Double check all your spark plug wires. Make sure they're all seated. I had a poor performance issue on one of my engines and it was all due to one of the spark plug wires being loose.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
    Double check all your spark plug wires. Make sure they're all seated. I had a poor performance issue on one of my engines and it was all due to one of the spark plug wires being loose.
    @davidbrooks
    My vote here as well. Check if the cap/rotor needs to be replaced on distributor. 
    Running but - no power is a big indicator.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    He appears to be making RPM so this is something outside of the engine such as outdrives prop etc. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Seems like possibly multiple issues. I agree with checking cap/rotor and plugs/wires as those are easy and free.

With the motor spinning at 3750 rpm and the boat only pushing at 7 knots you are either very low on torque (several cylinders not firing) or your coupler is shot. 
  • Options
    If the engine is running at 3750RPM I doubt it's an engine problem. More likely a drive connection problem or a severely fouled bottom.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your wife isn't under the boat is she?
  • Options
    If the coupler was shot, wouldn’t he over rev? Just like if it was a prop hub that went bad?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I think something is binding in the outdrive. Either way this boat needs to get out of the water and looked at. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    I think you are right @aero3113
  • Options
    Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 531 ✭✭✭
    The pic is from January. It’s been in the water all winter.
    If the boat has been sitting in the water all winter I would guess fouled bottom 
  • Options
    After leaving an anchorage one day I forgot to lower the drives from the half up position and experienced a similar situation, the boat does need to come out of the water to check everything.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, I'll arrange for it all to be properly looked at.