Options

US boats 40 feet or longer must carry a Waste Management Plan

LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod
Another Public Service Announcement:  In the US, boats 40 feet and longer must carry a written waste management plan.  It specifies how you deal with the collected waste onboard, who handles it, and where it is disposed.  

I wasn't aware of this requirement until recently, but it applies to my boat (2007 370, LOA 40 feet).  If I get boarded by the Coast Guard, they might ask me to produce a copy.  

There are various templates available on the web.  Here's the one I'm using.  

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,566 mod
    I had one similar to that on board.  I believe it is somewhere in the manuals bag.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    It's odd that nobody ever mentioned this topic during annual Vessel Safety Checks.  I've had ten VSCs since I bought this boat.  The only thing they check is the MARPOL sticker.
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont have one written/separate from stickers. I'd have to double check my stickers but I dont think I have more than the usual MARPOL stuff. If I did decide I need a WMP, I'd buy this set to cover MARPOL and WMP, but I dont think I need one for my CY 390. 

https://www.westmarine.com/west-marine-required-waste-oil-garbage-placards-8788986.html

Even though my LOA is over 40', the USCG documentation says my length is 38.3' which is my length without the swim platform. I also do not have an installed bell, which is a safety requirement for 40'+. My state registration says 39 ft. Have you checked your docs to see what it says?
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Maybe I could argue that I'm exempt, but I wouldn't want to have that argument with a boarding crew.  Better to have and not need, than to need and not have.  
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,566 mod
    Yeah, I don't have the installed bell.  I've thought about that one, but just never put one up.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    edited March 2023
    @Dream_Inn you don't need a bell.  The bell requirement is now 20 meters (66 feet), not 12 meters.  

EDIT:  It's on page 114 of the Nav Rules.

https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/navRules/navrules.pdf
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Interesting on the bell change. Good to know. Everyone just has a tennis ball on the bell anyway lol! Wonder when it changed, I know guys with late 2000s 40’s that had to have the bell. 

I think if your uscg cert of documentation says anything under 40 ft, it’s a non issue on the garage plan. No argument if the cert backs it up. If you are not documented though then I’d be concerned. Coasties May not accept state registration length. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)