Options

Waste tank sanitation?

So going for my first pump out this weekend... Once I pump out the black water, what do you do to sanitize the waste tank? I'm trying to kill the smell that comes out every time someone uses the head.

Also wondering what do you do if you need to pump out your head and you're not inland. I'm planning a trip to Bimini/Bahamas.

Thanks,

A
2013 290 ec - Volvo Penta D4/DP

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are lots of holding tank chemicals people use, mostly personal preference and success, you really don't want to sanitize it asn you want the solids to break down.  As for the odor when using the head, you need to add a Big Orange filter or similar..they 100% solve that problem. 

http://bigorangefilter.com/

Do you have a Y valve on your waste system?

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
  • Options
    Capt RonCapt Ron Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    I too had the same problem.... I installed a charcoal filter on the waste tank vent and problem solved. Never had to buy chemicals after installing it.
  • Options
    I built my filter and it works great still use a little chemical to be on the safe side don't want to be the one on the dock stinking up the joint

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

A Big Orange filter is a great charcoal tank vent filter as others have said, you can also DIY for about $10 and an hour of your time. Works the same and stops the stink from the vent very effectively, it's also easily replenished each season. Charcoal pelletts in a 1-1/4" pvc pipe with hose fittings on each end works like a charm.

At the pump out make sure the tank's emptied well and  then flushed and emptied again with about 5-8gals of water from the dock water supply. Also make sure to put a healthy dose of new RV waste tank treatment in the tank each time it's emptied.

As a last resort it's legal to empty the treated tank effluent off-shore more than 3miles if you have a macerator and Y-valve.

Here's a couple pics of my simple tank vent carbon filter. Good luck, Mike

The basic aquarium pelletts and pvc pipe with hose fittings and a bit of course foam to contain the pellets inside. I put a set screw in the caps so I can get it apart each season for fresh carbon pellets

Then just take a razor knife and cut out a section of the vent line to install your magical de-stinker at a slight angle with two hose clamps. Easy, easy $10 project and the Admiral, your guests and dock neighbors will thank you.

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl