Options

Bravo 3 drive install ?

Tri County Trail

Trying to reinstall bravo 3 Drive into transom. Alignment is good. I checked it with the bar. Something is holding it from going into the splines can get it into about half inche from studs rotate shaft but it won't engage and slide the rest of the way in. Going back in the morning taking a floor jack so I can fine tune the height. Have someone else helping me but looking for suggestions or hints from experienced people. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Options
    Rich_Rich_ Member Posts: 137 ✭✭
    Just throwing ideas: Are you sure the splines are not damaged in any way? If the shaft hit anything hard, could be a slight bump in a spline or two that is getting hung up? Maybe too much grease?
    2002 180      Eastern LI, NY
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've not removed my drive in a year so my memory is fuzzy.

I put the drive in gear, make sure the shifter mechanism is open to receive the end of the cable. 

I can't remember if it's froward or reverse.  I gently apply pressure and spin until I feel it go in. Sometimes it takes some bouncing 
  • Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 865 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My B3 drives were mounted by the marina in neutral. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alphas need to be in forward gear, Bravo’s neutral.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
    Where's Al when ya need him.....
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe you’re hanging up on the O ring?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Memory is coming back a bit. The shifter of the bravo is kept in gear when I remove/install but I put the drive in gear while I reinstall so I can spin the prop a little to get the splines to engage.   

As the drive seats into her final resting place the cable pushes it back into neutral.    The cable pulls in for one direction and pushes out for the other.  While I can't remember which gear I put the drive it in, it's the one where the drive side of the cable coupler is sitting proud of the drive mounting flange.    Before I finish sliding the drive on I make sure the cable is seated properly while there's still a little air gap there. As you remove the bravo drive the cable coupler tries to pull the drive into gear.   You'll want it to be in this position when reinstalling.  

The final 3/4 inch or so I use a top and bottom but to gently pull the drive into final position with a 12 inch extension and a small 3/8 ratchet.  It should gently slide in, no binding or hard cranking 

I install mine while hanging from an engine hoist.  Not difficult but as I'm only 170 lbs I know I'll need to eat my wheaties the morning of an install.  
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lake_Bum said:
    Where's Al when ya need him.....
    Only on Facebook now. You are lucky to catch him every once in a while on the Rinker Facebook page. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    tricountytrailtricountytrail Member Posts: 186 ✭✭
    So front of splines were messed up from installing gimbal bearing with alignment tool and driver(the depth was set from my previous boat and allowed champer of bar to hit the beginning of splines). was able to clear out burrs with hacksaw blade and triangle file. Then used a old drive shaft with a bar welded to back inserted a few times to open it up. After that drives installed normal.
  • Options
    Finally got it all back together. All new parts except for the transom plate. Both drives ready to go except for the digital trim limits. Could set it according to instructions. Will try with rinda laptop once its in the water. First have to wash and wax it.

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What did you end up doing about the issue with the different drive ratios?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    I'm running it like that for this year. The 2.0 is new in late 2021 when I purchased boat. The 2.2 look newer so I will wait. I ran it last year thought I had low power on one engine. The different ratios explained all that. I will loose a little MPG but not much.
    I will match prop speeds the engines will be off about 300rpm at cruise. Would even notice if I didn't upgrade to the nema data on chart plotter.