Options

Gauge issues

I have a 2001 captiva the gas and speedometer have stopped working.  My dash gauges are all on board is there any way to repair this or am I stuck trying to build a new display?

Thanks 

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The speedo is probably a plugged inlet on the drive.  The gas one could be a sending unit or the gauge so you need to figure that out with an ohm meter.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    hedge74hedge74 Member Posts: 14
     checked the plugs and they are clear the gas gauge moves but not sure how accurate it is. 
  • Options
    Capt RonCapt Ron Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    Hedge you didn't mention what type of drive is on your boat. The Bravo III drive has a built in pickup for the speedo. I had these pickups come loose before causing a loss of pressure in the pickup tube. I agree with Black Diamond that you may have a blocked pickup tube since this is the most common trouble area. My boat doesn't have a speedometer. Speed is determined by my GPS which is way more accurate. This gauge is kind of redundant since most boats have GPS Chart plotters.
  • Options
    hedge74hedge74 Member Posts: 14
    I have the built in pickups.  I use my gps for a speedo but would really like a working gas gauge.