Generator leak kohler 5ECD

Hey group, i have antifreeze in the drip pan under the generator.  Leaks even when not in use. Been gradually getting worse the last few seasons so its time to do something. Whats the most likely culprit? Hose? Heat exchanger? I plan to replace the anode while im at it. Thanks in advance

Comments

• YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine leaked quite a bit into the pan over the winter, reservoir almost empty. Watching the replies...
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • skyman2112skyman2112 Member Posts: 21
    Gosh no activity here, ill try iboats or searay forums
  • Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
    Harsh words 😭. I have been on this forum for 4 years and haven't seen anything about a leaking generator so I'm guessing no one has had issues. 

I would start with looking at hoses, then the heat exchanger. There is also the plastic expansion bottle maybe that's cracked. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    I would begin with checking all the hoses.  Dry everything you possibly can and then try to trace where it came from.

I currently have an oil leak on my generator that I'm trying to trace down.  I started last year with removing valve covers and installing new gaskets but there was still oil that looked like it was coming from them so I added liquid gasket under them too.  I've ran it for about 6 hours this year thus far and probably have 1-2 tablespoons in my drip pan.

I guess I'm not helping, but start with the easy stuff.  Hoses get old and connections, especially clamps (which do rust), do need replaced after a while.  Does it look like there is any mix of water in it?  Do you have a manual with a diagram to follow where the closed cooling goes?  If it actually leaks even when it's not running, then that should be easier to find & you don't have to worry about working around a hot genny.   I'd say you could even use something like baby power for tracing, but that would just be a mess in those tight quarters.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always start with the simple things..how old are the hoses? Can't be that many...jump in there, you will see where it's coming from!
  • rmfridayrmfriday Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
    Harbor Freight sells a cheap radiator test kit, it has a adapter and a hand pump that you use to pressurize the system. Do that and look/listen for the leak.
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good point, I've rented one from autozone before for free to pressure test a 5E. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)